Chapter 42.

I hate being woken up. I've said this before, people know this. Still, I seem to be woken up every single morning — and it's starting to drive me insane.

My phone goes off on the bedside table behind me and I have to struggle to turn around wrapped in Charles' arms. He barely wakes up as I struggle to try and reach my phone. I finally reach it and see my mom's contact on the screen. I press the green button and put the phone to my ear just as Charles starts shuffling around behind me, still making sure his arms are wrapped around me.

"Bonjour maman," Hello mom, I say into the phone, looking over my shoulder as Charles starts to open his eyes, blinking a few times.

"Est-ce que je t'ai réveillé? C'est l'heure du déjeuner," Did I wake you? It's lunch time, she sounds appalled at the idea of me sleeping in late, even though I've always been one to sleep all day if I can. I sigh and hear Charles making some noises as he wakes up and I start to cover my phone a little so she won't hear it.

"Je me suis couché tard hier soir," I went to bed late last night, I explain and watch Charles realize I'm on the phone. I hear her clicking her tongue and I bet she's shaking her head.

"Ton père a dit que tu étais à Venise? Vous ne pouvez pas dormir toute la journée quand vous êtes à Venise," Your father said you were in Venice? You can't sleep all day when you're in Venice, she says, and I just sigh, putting my hands over my eyes, because I don't want to be arguing about my sleep schedule with my mom. "Avec qui êtes-vous?" Who are you with? she asks.

"Charles, Pierre et Evie."

"Arthur ne voulait-il pas y aller?" Didn't Arthur want to go?

"Il avait des projets avec les frères de Pierre," He had plans with Pierre's brothers.

"Pourquoi es-tu allé à Venise? Vous aimez Alassio," Why did you go to Venice? You love Alassio, she argues and I just want to hang up the phone and call her back when I'm not morning grumpy. I move over to lay on my back instead, sighing at all her questions.

"Pierre et Charles voulaient de vraies vacances pendant qu'ils avaient le temps," Pierre and Charles wanted a real vacation while they had time, I explain as patiently as I can so I don't just start shouting at her.

"Pierre et Evie sortent toujours ensemble, n'est-ce pas?" Pierre and Evie are still dating, aren't they? she asks. Oh my god if she starts- "Que faites-vous et Charles quand ils ont un rendez-vous?" What do you and Charles do when they're on dates?

"On observe, on joue aux cartes, je ne sais pas maman," We observe, we play cards, I don't know mom, I start to get frustrated because I know she wants it to be more. Which it is. But I don't want her to know that right now and I will feel busted if she continues.

"Tu devrais demander si Pierre a un ami avec qui tu peux sortir, tu t'amuseras plus," You should ask if Pierre has a friend you can date, you'll have more fun.

"Oui, non merci," Yeah, no thanks, I scoff, "Je ne veux pas de petit ami, je suis trop occupé," I don't want a boyfriend, I'm too busy, I say and see Charles lift his head to look at me with furrowed brows. I use the back of my hand to push him back down onto the pillow without acknowledging him any further than that.

"Et cet autre gars, le beau?" And the other guy, the handsome one? she asks and I furrow my brows. What the hell? Who is the other guy?

"Qui?" Who?

"Celui que tu as amené au paddock? Charles l'a-t-il rencontré? L'aimaient-ils?" The one you brought to the paddock? Has Charles met him? Did they like him? She asks and my eyes widen as I glance over at Charles who seems to be very interested in the conversation I'm trying to have with my mother. He seems to be listening really hard.