CHAPTER 20

Kol

I jumped in the water without hesitation, the tides hitting me from every corner. The rain seemed suddenly heavier, the sound of thunder got louder somehow and the water got colder.

"Valentina!" I yelled, as the water tries to pull me down but the one function arm and half sprained wrist I fight to get to the surface and call her name again. I look around me trying to catch a glimpse of her body.

I take a deep breath and put my head underwater trying to open my eyes to see if she was anywhere near then I try to get to the surface while the water took me somewhere.

"Valentina!" I called again but nothing, not a sound. When I started to lose all hope I caught a glimpse of blonde hair.

"Val!" I tried to keep my eyes on her body getting taken by the water, my arm was doing its best with a little help from the left. It felt like forever before I got close to her, even though my left hand was in so much pain I used it to hold Valentina by the waist and pull her to me.

"I got you baby...I got you" I said breathless, she was unconscious and I wasn't going to let her go, I tried to grab into branches that were in the way but my hand slipped on each one of them, then I saw a tree log a few feet behind I waited until it got close and I grabbed it with my right arm while my left held on tightly to Valentina.

"Valentina if you hear me baby, please open your eyes." I whispered against her soaked hair then leaned my cheek on it. I winced because my left hand was holding Val and with the movement of the water the pain was getting worse.

I thought that what we've going through was bad enough until I saw where the river was heading, what a wonderful luck we have.

I watched as everything that was in front of us fell from the edge, I let go of the log and wrapped both my arms around Valentina and laid back getting ready for the fall. My stomach fell while my body got ready for the impact with the water then everything went dark.

.
.
.
.
.

I felt something brush against my face followed by loud continuous sniffing, my face was burning from the sun but I wasn't complaining it's better than rain. I felt something lick my face and it woke me up like a bolt.

I jumped so fast and quickly regretted it, my stomach was in pain and so was my left hand. I held my head in pain for a moment than opened my eyes, and I wish I didn't.

A huge fuckin black panther was standing in front of me. The animal was staring at me through it's blue eyes and I didn't find the courage to look away afraid that it'll pounce on me any second.

"Please, I swear I taste bad." I put both my hands up in front of me, than slowly started backing away. First Valentina getting shot, then her getting carried away by the river, then a fuckin panther. What a wonderful day.

Speaking of Valentina, I quickly looked around me for her body but I couldn't see her anywhere. I was at a small lake, I think this is where it ends so she must be somewhere close. I moved trying to go look for her but a low growl made me stop.

"Listen here you stupid cat, the love of my life got shot and she's most likely dead. I am going to look for her and you won't fuckin stop me" the animal tilted its head to the side confused and I sighed, I'm going crazy, I'm talking to a panther.

"Fine, you can eat me but after I find Valentina." I pointed at the animal, surprisingly the panther sat in its place without question and I fist bumped the air mentally. I kept my eyes on it while I moved around the place trying to find Valentina.

A few minutes later I saw a body laying on the ground near the water and I ran to her. She was facing the sky so I put my hands under her armpits and pulled her completely away from the water.

"Valentina..." I called her name before putting my head on her chest there were no heart beats.

"Fuck..." I looked at her stomach and it had a stomach wound, I quickly took off the hoodie and shirt and tied the long shirt around her stomach to stop the bleeding. She looks so pale, she must've lost so much blood.

I clasped my hands one on top of the other tightly and started pushing on her chest. I kept massaging fast and in a good rhythm, I saw it one time on tv they said, 20 strokes and 2 air blows.

"....17, 18, 19, 20" I counted out loud then closed her nose and opened her mouth, I took deep breath and blew in her mouth then I pulled away to breath in then went back and blew in her mouth.

"C'mon...3,4,5...please" I kept going for a few minutes alternating between cpr and mouth to mouth.

"Valentina..."I called her with a soft and breathless voice,

"I'm begging you..." I cried out not once stopping my arm movement, I didn't care about the pain in my hand I just wanted her to breathe. I went again to the mouth to mouth resuscitation, two times and then I went to massaging her chest again trying to revive her heart.

"I swear...I'll be good, I'll listen to you, I'll trust you...just please...don't go" I stopped and laid my head on her chest, I was out of breath and exhausted, I couldn't go on anymore and my wrist was starting to swell. My eyes were blurred with tears and my heart hurt so much, I can't believe she's gone. And it's all my fault, I wish I trusted her the first time.

I love her so much...why did it have to be her, why me, why now, when we were finally good, when we finally fixed things.

I looked up at her pale face and blue lips in sorrow, I quickly wiped my tears and sat up then started CPR all over again.

"No...you're not leaving me...I won't let you" I said as I counted each stroke and press I did on her chest, please Valentina, don't do this to me.

The sound of gagging made me turn my head to look at her face, I noticed her neck moving and she looked like she was going to throw up. I quickly turned her to the side while she emptied all the water that was in her stomach and lungs.

I laid my head on her as tears fell like a waterfall, I gripped her shirt tightly and sobbed. I didn't know why exactly I was crying, because she was dead a moment ago or because she was back from the dead.

I listened quietly to the soft and small heartbeats in her chest, her little heart banging against her ribcage telling me that it was okay, it was alive.

"I thought I lost you..." I whispered, her hand gently touched my head brushing my hair softly and I smiled at the tenderness, I looked up at her and she was staring at the sky dazely. I took her hand in mine and gently kissed the soft and cold skin. She was too cold, I had to keep her warm.

I quickly grabbed the hoodie I took off earlier, and put it on her. I gently put each arm in trying not to hurt her, but I can tell she was still cold.

"Valentina, please stay with me, I'm going to find help" I leaned closer to her face and kissed her lips then her forehead, when I got up a hand grabbed mine and stopped me from going.

"Baby... you'll die if we don't get help. Please..." I held her face in my hands so gently trying not to hurt her, her pretty blue eyes finally caught mine and I saw a little sparkle in them.

"B-" my word was cut off by the sound of branches breaking, I looked up and the panther who I forgot existed was walking towards us.

"No, back off...I know I said you can eat me but not now" I said defensively at the big cat, but it kept coming towards us I looked around me for something to hit it with and I found a rock but before I could pick it up Valentina's hand landed on mine.

"It's gonna kill the both of us, Val" I said looking down at her in worry but she just smiled and shook her head no, the panther walked closer to Valentina and started sniffing her.

Then she did something I wasn't expecting her to do, she laid close, almost on top, of Valentina to keep her warm. I stared at the scene in surprise but quickly composed myself, I kiss Val's head and got up. I have to find help.

"I'll be right back, I promise"

******************************************
I mean, I wouldn't be me if I don't give you a little anxiety.

Muah

-S