v (Edited)

This chapter was edited.

[[|]]

I look in the mirror at myself. I looked different. Even with how little the makeup she applied. I came to  Gladis'. She offered to do my makeup when I told her I didn't know how to do make up. She did it well. If she ever loses interest in her job. She should definitely think of becoming a make up artist. She will make it big time.

I had told her to keep it natural. Not over the top. And she got it. I couldn't even tell if I had make up on my face. That's how good she is. She used my skin color powder and it blended. She put used a pastel purple eyes shadow. Used the mascara to give me a simple wing. I applied a light purple lip gloss. "Thank you.  You're so good."

She removes her sweat shirt and hot pink short. She is left in her lacy bra and underwear, she takes a red chiffon gown from her bed and slips it on. It clings softly to her curves. "No. Thank you letting me try it out on your face." She sits on her bed. Slipping a pair of glittering sliver sling back heels on. "I learnt it over a month ago and I didn't have anyone to try it on."

Gladis told me she takes online courses for things she has interests in.  So far in her endeavor, she can sew a little bit and do make up.

"You can use my face anytime." I tell her and she smiles.

She gets up. "You're ready. Let's go wait in the lobby for Mr. McClain."

She wasn't going to the event. She is going to her family dinner at her parents house. She told me she'll stay with me till Mr. McClain shows up.

Which is fine by me. I need the company before hell begins.

I stand up from the chair, stretching my body. I have been sitting for long. My tail bone is aching. I carry my purse from the vanity table.

Diego had bought me a red clutch and a red with white strips ankle straps heels. It added six inches to my height. When I asked why he bought it for me, he told me it was gift, after he insisted that I took it. I finally agreed and took it. My eyes had been on the heels the moment I saw it on display. I guess he caught me staring.

"I love your dress and your heels." Gladis compliments.

She has told me about six times this evening and I don't think she'll stop.

I look down at my dress then the heels, it was a beautiful piece. I valued it more than anything I owned. "Me too." I tell her sincerely "I love yours too." I really did.

She shrugs. "Mum bought for me in one of her clothing trips I wore hope it to Hope's wedding, last summer."

She has five elder sister and plus her self making them six. That's much. Too much. I only grew up with a sibling. My sister. Daniella. It was really nice. Dani will probably be mad I haven't called her in over a month.

I'll call her first thing tomorrow.

"How's it? Growing up with that much siblings? I only have one." I ask out of curiosity.

She cringed before answering me. "Horrific. My sister's are really competitive. All of them. We all participated in one school club or the other to get our parents attention. My parents were never home because of how demanding there jobs were. they wanted to provide the best for us. That's where Mr. McClain comes in. We all went to the same school and his mother was our literally mother. She was always there for us, came to my sister's and I competitions." She has a small nostalgic smile. "But it was fun, you always had someone to talk to, someone to play with and that were protective of me so I enjoyed it. They still are."

If Mr. McClain's mum is a good woman, I wonder how her son ended up this way.

Why am I thinking of that man?

I shake my head lightly to let all thoughts of that man vanish.

|<>|

We leave Gladis' apartment. She locks her door and puts the key in her bra and sets her bra right so the key wouldn't fall down. With our had interlocked. We walk to the elevator. Gladis telling me stories of her neighbor. Some of which are really hilarious. And some others terrifies me a bit. We get to the elevator and Gladis presses a button. We wait for the door to part open. It doesn't.

"The elevator always has faults." Gladis tells me sounding annoyed as we wait for the door to part open.

We wait there in silence for the door to open when it doesn't. Gladis sighs and muters something underneath her breathe. I don't hear it but I catch some words. "Stupid. New York apartments. How nothing works in them."

I get  her, my rent in my residence building is  expensive but my fire alarm doesn't work. The heater, the agent bragged about doesn't even heat half of my apartment in winter. And my apartment is not big. I have never so much has enjoy a hot shower since I moved in almost six years ago. Everything else is the same either spoilt or can't do it's functions. Hers is still better. I don't try using the elevator in my elevator in my building. After what happened the last time.

I decide to step in, suggesting. "Let's use the stairs, it would be faster."

She glares at the elevator before nodding. Accepting my suggestion. It made more sense than waiting for the dang metal box, that probably stopped half way coming here. The emergency stairs is just adjacent to the elevator.

"Emergency." I snort, very unladylike. I don't care. "I'm sure the residence here have used it to escape that metal box than for emergencies."

Gladis doesn't say anything she looks deep in thought. Her nose scrunched up.

"You're very true. Ms. Wilson, she lives next door, doesn't use the elevator anymore. There was a day it stopped working when she was in it, she screamed so loudly I'm sure everyone in the building heard her. Since that day she said she ‘prefers climbing 60 staircases everyday, to and fro than die in that stupid metal box.’ I think it scared her and a few other neighbors, many of them do not use it. It is really only me on this floor." She tells me as we descend the stairs.

The cases are wide enough for two people to walk on.

I don't know what makes me. I haven't told anybody about her but I tell her my experience. "Lucky you. That stupid metal box in my residence had power outage. Almost fell down and ended my life but I was saved. Since then I never stepped stepped foot in it. I love my life. Thank you very much."

That day, my life flashed in my eyes and I promised to never take anything for granted. I felt hopeless that day and it crippled me into mess. For a year I couldn't enter an elevator. I had to go for counseling.

"I'm sorry you went through that." She squeeze my hand softly, giving me a small sympathetic smile.

"Thank you." I did not really know what to say.

I don't like like soberness that has come over us. "Continue those your stories." I nudge her with my hips. She trips. I grab her hand before she falls. "I'm sorry, I didn't know you weren't balanced."

"No worries. So where was I?" She asks sounding dramatic. Continuing the tales of her neighbors.

Have you ever experienced what Gbemi experienced, any near death story, that made you see life in a different life?

Can you share in the comment?