xviii (edited)

This chapter was thoroughly edited.

[[|]]

I turn, going behind the counter. I greet my coworker Ellie, and she smiles at me before she goes back to prepping the coffee beans for today. After staying at home for almost a month, I told Gladis, Diego and Marcel my plans to work and how I felt like a burden, Gladis had reassured me that I was not a burden and I should never feel like that but didn't argue with me working which I was grateful for. Diego and Marcel offered to look for a job for me I also joined them. Five days of searching, it looked futile until the couple found one at a cafe they frequented. It was just behind the mall, which really helped since I can't board a train home due to my fear so they gave me a ride home.

I have been working at this cafe for approximately a week and half and it's been hectic. The manager is also the owner is a white man, Mr. Reeks. I have known him for a very short period of time but I can tell he is a very messy and chaotic person, I have never seen him wearing an ironed shirt or any piece of cloth, they were all rumpled. When I first met him, I couldn't believe he owned this cafe. I'm very sure he has mid life crisis, he's always yelling and acting weird for no reason. My coworker Ellie, she's the barrister. She is super chill and nice. She is biracial, black latina. She is fine with her onyx eyes, cute button nose and full lips and has curves to die for. And I'm super jealous for her curly hair. She is taller than me by some inches  she showed me the ropes on my first day and I'm really grateful for her help. She isn't really much of a talker which I'm super grateful for. Then my favorites in this Goddarn cafe are the patrons who range from different types of people. They are the decisive ones, the ones I like best. They know what they want and order straight away. Then they are the indecisive ones that keep changing their orders which reminds me of changing tv channels and it also makes my eyes twitch. Then the kids, I don't know who'll let their kids drink coffee. They mostly make me annoyed. They always keep coming, drinking their coffee in one go not even bothering to savour the taste. The pay is good though 20 dollars per hour which is good considering I'm working twelve hours everyday except for Sunday and sometimes Saturday. And I also get to keep the tips.

What I wouldn't do for me?

I wrap my apron around my waist and tie it at the back. Stuffing my bag in my locker, I shut it close and tie my hair in a ponytail. I had it relaxed last week, which made my hair long and it was easier to pack and style than when it was my natural hair. When I am satisfied with it, I leave the dim break room, it's designated for the workers. I walk to the counter, a prayer going through my head that a bad patron shouldn't be the first customer today. Just as I get behind the counter the doorbell chimes and I look at the door to see who it is. It's one of the white patrons who has comes here several times already. He is wearing a white v neck shirt that has dark stains on it which I'm assuming it's from coffee, he is in a different jogger which is a relief. His hair is all over the place, like he just woke up, he looked a bit groggy, they were dark circles around his eyes, his nose were red and his mouth twisted in a scowl. He walks up to the counter not saying anything.

"Good morning, what can I get for this wonderful morning?" I ask with forced enthusiasm. Mr. Reeks had given me a guide on how to treater the customers. Number one on the list was always to be cheerful when attending them.

He doesn't greet back like usual, he scans the board above where all the coffee available are written in chicken scrawl. I wonder how the customers read it. He turns his attention back to me. "An Expresso." Shocker. He always does this everytime, check the board like he'll change his choice but it still remains the same Expresso.

I force a smile on my face and say, "That'll be 5 dollars." He gives me a single nod before checking his joggers pocket and pulls his wallet out and gives me and I put it in the cash register.

I turn to Ellie, "One Expresso."

"Coming right up." Mr. Reeks had planned it like this, the customers will tell me their order and give .d their money then I'll tell Ellie even though I'm pretty sure she heard. We are on the same counter after all probably fifteen feet's from each other but Mr. Reeks yells a lot. When I complained I almost lost my eardrums.

I walk to Ellie side of the counter and collect the paper cup of Expresso and walk back to my side and hand him his order, "Hope you enjoy your coffee." He nods before walking off to the corner of the cafe, he brings out his phone and begins tying in it.

🌟
Please read, vote and comment.
And share if you can.