xxviii(edited)

I yawn rubbing my eyes slowly, looking around, I remember, I came back to DC for Thanksgiving and I was no longer in NYC. I have been of coming for Thanksgiving and I told Gladis, what I didn't expect was Gladis to get plane ticket for me and she also packed clothes. I only had to tell my boss and he agreed, I found out he was closing the cafe for the week. Which was a blessing for me. Gladis is really my best friend, I don't know how I can ever repay her for what she has done for me but I promise to repay her for her kindness.

I hear two voices talking outside my door, which break my thought, I listen in,

"Carl stop, stop I'm not joking," Dani says talking to her boyfriend, her voice sounding breathy. I found out yesterday when she picked me up at the airport, she and Gladis had planned all my trip. When I saw a white guy with her, I thought maybe he was her friend then she introduced him as her boyfriend, I burst out laughing. I don't think I've ever laughed that hard in a while. People were staring at me like I was crazy person. It was so amusing to me because Dani had once sworn to me that she would never date a white guy but here we are. Carl was nice to look at, in a nerdy way, he was beautiful to look at and he was also very nice and respectful, charming as well, so I could actually see why Dani will fall for him.

"But you look so hot in that dress," Carl tells her. I know I'm supposed to alert them of my presence in this room and that I can hear them through the thin walls but I can't help myself. I can't believe Dani is dating a white guy, it's funny really.

"You've seen me in this dress like a hundred times," she is exaggerating. Dani doesn't like wearing dresses frequently, mum always complains she was always wearing pants all the time.

"And I have told you everytime I see you in it that I want to devour you in the dress," he gruffs out, my sister gasps and moans. I think it's time to alert them of my presence, I clear my throat loudly hoping they can hear me in their sex haze.

"Oh shit." I hear Dani gasp, "I'm sorry, Gbemi," she apologies quickly then I hear her door slam shut. I guess they want to finish what they started on a bed in her room which is besides mine.

Let's get out of here, I tell myself getting out of my bed. I walk out my room, down the hallways to the stairs, I climb down the stairs. The smell of frying beacon, toast and eggs hits as I step on the last staircase.

I hear two of my favourite voices on earth, talking quietly in the kitchen like they usually do. Dad's back to me but not blocking mum's back from me and I can see the side of his face. They still looked the same aso have known them my entire life. My dad had his favourite haircut, buzz cut which he went to trim every week at the barber shop. He was wearing a wife beater tucked in khaki pants, he never really knows how to dress causally but he never feels uncomfortable in what he wears. Mum had her hair in a high ponytail, mum's hair was stretched out, so it was very long. She was in dad's jersey from when he played football in college, it was one of the things she loved putting on. I'm sure she'll ever dispose it, she topped it off with a pair of leggings.

Dad played football in highschool and college but stopped playing in his junior year of college because it was stressful balancing his studies with football, he would tell us anytime the question was asked. When I look at him long enough, it doesn't look like the treatment are having any side effects on him, yet. I hope it never does.

I notice how happy they look which makes me happy. Mum has a soft smile on her face, dad is talking and she is listening intently. One thing I love about her is that she's a good listener, I can't see dad expression because of his back to me. I walk into the kitchen making sure to be quiet. I hug dad from behind, "Good morning dad," I greet him, they pause talking surprised to be hearing my voice.

Yes they didn't know I came back yesterday, when Dani surprised me, I planned with Dani to surprise them also.

"Gbemi?" He calls turning around and holding my shoulder.

"Yes dad," I answer wrapping my arms around his wait inhaling his perfume, cinnamon with something woodsy.

"How are you here? I thought the plans were for you to come for Christmas," Mum says opening her arm for a hug, I step out of dad's embrace and into hers, taking in the sweet sent if her vanilla perfume.

🌟

Hey guys, how're you? I hope we're all staying safe and keeping well.
My time is almost on point for this chapter, next week is Thanksgiving.

I hope you like this chapter, this is one is the first from the Thanksgiving chapter.

Next update should be next week.

New update on my life, I just resumed school this Monday, we've really started anything, just registration and some other stuffs. I don't have any friends yet, which doesn't really shock me, I'm an introvert, that's why I love Wattpad so much it makes me express myself in ways I wouldn't in the real world.

I'm sure everyone knows what's going on in Gaza, the innocent lives that are being lost and the thousands of children's that have died 😭.
#prayerforgaza.