xx (edited)

This chapter was thoroughly edited.

[[|]]

Adam's P.O.V

I don't understand what happened that day, when I gave her the job. I was talking about not giving her the post she applied for, then that useless Maxine barged into my office without knocking and started acting in her irritating way, so I fired her on the spot. I could have just conducted another interview for a P.A but my mouth moved faster than I could think asking her to be my P.A.

I am not going to lie and say I tried to work on my dislike for black women. I did everything possible to make her quit but she endured and worked on the problems I complied on her and she even became better doing them. I didn't want her better, I wanted her gone. Was it that hard? Most if the work I assigned to her, I have done myself  in the past because I didn't trust any of my P.A's especially my last P.A, I gave her to do them, so she could leave and she persevered.

Truth be told I liked that she was hardworking, be er once complained to me about anything and put up with my asshole-ish attitude. I didn't want her at the front of my office where I could step out and see her or gear her voice, I didn't want anywhere near myself or this building but she seemed to have stolen a place in my head ever since she quit. I'm always thinking of her. I have fired three P.A's because I can't take her out of my Goddarn mind. And I have tried, honestly, done everything but I can't seem to keep her off my mind.

"Uncle Adam," the high pitch voice breaks me from my thoughts, I lift my head from my screen which I have been staring at this whole time. I feel stupid, I rub my forehead with my thumb and forefinger. "Are you ok Uncle Adam? You look like you need sleep," She says, her eyes brimming with worry, she reminded me so much of my mother.

"I'm fine. Just been busy, finishing up a sketch for a client." It was a lie, I had finished the sketch last week and my client approved of it, the work will commence anytime soon, I didn't want Chelsea to know the reason for my sleepless nights.

"How's Cairo? It's been a while since I have seen him," she comments casually, putting her legs on my desk, crossing her ankles.

Cairo is my nine years old son. Yes, I have a child. It's a really long story to tell. "He's fine or I think he is you know how he is," I answer, pushing her leg off my desk. "Why are you here?" I ask glancing down at my wrist watch, it's 2.30. An hour more before I pick Cairo up from school. Chelsea if you're wondering is homeschooled, she likes it very much like that.

"My mum dropped me off," she tells me shrugging. I wonder at times if Mariana is lying about her age because she us so matured.

I scowl at that, Mariana always does this, leaving me as Chelsea's babysitter, because she has smarted all her sitters. Even our nanny while growing was brought in but when Chelsea wants something, she does everything in her power to get it. "I'm not your babysitter,"I state.

"I know. You wouldn't last long even if you were," she tells me in a bored tone. I roll my eyes. We both stay silent. "Oh, it must have slipped my mind, I saw Gbemi yesterday at my favorite cafe," Chelsea tells me beaming, I know she really liked her. Who wouldn't.

That steals my attention, I raise fully to look at my niece, my mouth moved faster than I can comprehend. "How is she?"

Chelsea raises her brow, "For a guy who made her quit, you look like you care a lot."

My jaw clenches like it does anytime I hear that accusation. I know I wanted her gone but she seem to have left a mark in everything. "It wasn't my intention for her to hear that conversation." I grit out in annoyance.

She cocks her head to the side and scans my face, in a look that reminds me do much of my mother.  When she wanted to figure out if I misbehaved or said anything wrong. "But it was your intention to make her quit wasn't it? Isn't that the reason you did all you did?" My big mouth of a best friend had spilled everything to her. They were close, he didn't care about the age distance between them.

I feel myself tense. I fist my hand under my table. "I just asked how she was, I didn't expect you to ask a million question."

She rolls my eyes at me, "Don't be overdramatic. I only asked two." Then she beams, "I guess she looked fine but I can't be sure I couldn't stay there long." She finally tells me what I want to hear. I don't comment but I feel myself relax a little.

🌟
I'm sorry that this chapter is short, but I wanted us to see a chapter from his perspective.

How is Adam's p.o.v?
There will be more of his p.o.v from now on.