xxxii (edited)

I had woken up this morning without any plans in mind. I bathed, brushed my teeth and had dressed up, before going down for breakfast. Mum and dad were making breakfast separately, the air around them felt somber, I'm immediately worried, that something is wrong. My parents are always attached to the hips, always around 2 feet of each other, so me seeing them making them making separate breakfast worried me quite a lot. "Good morning mum. Dad."

Mum raises her head up and give me a small smile, "Good morning, how was your night?"

"It was splendid and yours?"

"Good," her reply is too short.

"Dad? How are you this morning?"

"Oh, Gbemi. I'm fine this morning," he answers distractedly

"Ok," I drag out.

"So what's everyone doing today?" I ask after a few minutes, after seeing both of them wouldn't fill the silence.

Mum and dad stop what they are doing before before continuing.

Weird

I decide to continue talking, "I don't have anything to do, nowhere to visit and I'm bored out of my mind." I complain, pouting a little. "What about you guys?"

"Aren't you going to tell her Micheal?" Mum asks chopping the cucumbers harder.

"Seriously, Felicia."

Ooh, first name basis calling now? Something's not right.

"Yes seriously," she bites out, raising her head up, I shocked to see tears in her eyes.

Dad moves to talk but I cut in, "What's happening?"

"I can't do this," mum says dropping her knife and rushing out of the kitchen.

Dad sighs dialing down the stove, then massages his forehead.

"Dad what's wrong?"

He doesn't say anything for some minutes, the hope in me of him replying me as started dwindling, when he talks, "I messed up," he sighs his shoulders slumping.

Alarm rings in my head. Dad never messes up and if he did, given mum's reaction, it must be big.

"I haven't been going for treatment," he admits.

"Why?" I cry out, understand the whole situation clearly.

"Admitting it to makes me look stupid. I feel like if I didn't go for treatments I could ignore the whole thing."

"Why would you think that?"

"I know, it's stupid."

Tears fills me eyes and I walk to him, standing in front of him. "Do you want to leave us dad?"

"I'm sorry but I have just felt bad since I found out and I don't feel good thinking about it. And I know I don't want to die." He says.

"So I'm begging to please to go for treatments," he sighs and nods, I hug him. He wraps his arms around me also, squeezing me.

"Please can you talk to your mum for me?" He asks, I nod before lifting my head to look at me.

"I'll but you'll be starting your first session today. I'm following you," I say with conviction.

Knowing he wouldn't fight with me on this, he agrees.

"Mum can I come in?" I ask my hand on the knob.

I hear sniffles. "Come in."

I push the door open and enter inside closing the door behind me, "He sent you here, didn't he?"

"Yes." I answer and walk to her hugging from behind. "He's sorry and promised to go for a session today."

She perks you at that, then sniffles again. "It's hard, you know? What if he dies? I don't want him to die. He promised me forever, now he wants to leave me."

"Mum, why you crying? Where's the strong woman I know? The one that wouldn't cry about anything. Dad is going to be fine. He'll recover and the treatment will work, okay. So stop crying. Crying will make him feel more awful than he already does." I tell her even as my eyes are filled with tears.

She sniffles one last time, "Ok, let's go prepare breakfast and go for your dad's session."

🌟

Hey guys,
how are we doing?
I know this update is coming.....quickly but I might not be able to update tomorrow, so I'm doing it today.
Stay safe.
Love you❤️.