xv (Edited)

This chapter is edited.

[[|]]

The banging on the door, jolts me awake.

I rub my eyes, wiping for my sleepiness. I feel groggy. The hitting continues which wakes me up. I slowly sit up, seeing my phone beside me. I carry it and switch it on. Nothing displays on the screen, letting me know it's dead.

I sigh.

I haven't charged it all week. I didn't use it much, so what's the need anyways. The person hits the for again, I remember there's someone outside the door. Probably Gladis.

How long was I out for?

I hoist myself up with the help of the coffee table, I walk to the door and open the door. I didn't bother locking when I came in.

Gladis is standing there wearing a huge grey NYU sweatshirt and denim shorts that stops at her mid thigh. Her hair is in a messy bun. She is with five paper bags.

"I would have called Diego to break your door if you didn't answer this time." She announces pushing out if the way into my empty apartment.

I slam the door shut and turn to her. She looks round my apartment in shock, taking in the empty state.

"How long were you knocking?"

She drops the bags on the coffee table and turns to me, scrutinizing me. To see if I was physically hurt, when she sees I'm ok, her eyes darts back to my face. "For like 20 minutes or less. I'm not sure"

"I'm sorry. I fell asleep." I apologize. Really sorry. This lady in front of me left all she was doing to give me a shoulder to lean on.

"Don't be. You deserve to rest. The stress of today caught up." She points out.

It's true. I wasn't even aware I was asleep.

"Who did this to you?" She asks.

"My neighbors, probably. I don't know." I reply feeling tired. The whole situation hitting me again on the head. Like a rock. My dad has cancer. I quit my job. And I was robbed.

"Why can they be so wicked to you? It's unfair they emptied your apartment!" She exclaims looking annoyed for me. I raise my brow at her outburst, when she came to visit me last time, I told her my neighbors didn't like me, at all. She sees it. "Ok I get that but why rob you?"

I shrug, not knowing the answer myself.

"Let's call the cops?" She states, looking around again

"No, no, no." I repeat. "That would worsens my situation" I tell her.

She sighs and takes another look around. "They took everything?"

"Yes my furnitures, my appliances, the new clothes and shoes I bought. My old ones. Even the one I wore for that event with the heels." I tell her, tears fills my eyes,. I blink rapidly to keep them at bay. I didn't want to cry again. It didn't make any difference. Just left with an headache.

She doesn't say anything for a while. Then she speaks, "Come and stay with me till you can get your footing."

I shake my head, shutting it down. "I don't want to bother you." I just quit my job, I add in my head. I didn't want to be a burden to her.

"You can't stay here." She states." What if they come back and this time kill you."

Cold chills runs down my spine, making me shiver. The thought of somebody breaking into my apartment to kill me, scares me and breaks my resolves. It has been a joke in my head all this year's but hearing it from someone else's mouth, makes it feel real. Too real.

"There's nothing to live on here. I have a guest room at my place. Nobody ever uses it. Come and stay with me."

I don't bother arguing. "Ok"

"It'll be so fun. I have never really had a roommate." She sounds enthusiastic at the thought of me staying with her. Then she scrunches her nose. "Wait except from Joy. I shared a room with her. Worst roommate ever. But I'm positive it'll be fun with you."

I chuckle quietly at her expression when she mentioned her immediate elder sister as her roommate. "Ok"

She looks happy that she was able to make me laugh, nodding to herself, a small smile on her lips. "Let's head to my place to have pizza. It there anything the robbers didn't take that you want?"

I look around the empty apartment, there isn't anything I want. Then I remember something. The box under my bed, it was filled with so many memories and I couldn't leave without it, that's if the robbers didn't take it. "Wait for me. I'll be back." I tell her and dart down the hallway to my bedroom. I enter, walking to my bed, I get on my knees to check for the box. I use my hand to feel for it. I touch it sitting where I left it. I drag it out.

I blow off the layer of dust that has resided there. I flip the lid open. All my little valuables still there, pictures, knick knacks I value more than anything, just stuff I couldn't do away with. I smile at the memories they bring. I flip the lid close and carry it with me back to the living room.

Gladis sitting on the coffee table, typing on her phone.

"We can go now." I inform her.

She raises her head from her phone and eyes the box in my hands. "That's it?"

I nod.

She shrugs. "Let's go then."

She stands up, carrying the paper bags. I pick my bag and phone off the floor.

🌟
How is this chapter guys?
I have only three chapter left that I have typed and I'm not sure I'll be able to do much before I head off to school so my updating might be irregular.