xxix (edited)

I followed mum to shop for Thanksgiving dinner and I forgot just how long it takes for her to shop, she usually has a very long list and we were going to buy everything on it. My arm ached from pushing the trolley around the grocery store.

"Should we get frozen turkey?" She asks like she cares about my opinion, she'll still do what she wants. She has done this several times already, today.

"Mum do what you want," I tell her, she turns to me and narrows her eyes at me.

"I want your opinion since you're one of the people I'm cooking for," she says.

"Maybe buy the frozen turkey and also the fresh one," I give her my opinion.

"Hmm, I like that, but we're going to another store, they don't sell fresh turkey here," she says and walks ahead leaving me behind to push the trolley.

Dad is so lucky, he had to play golf with some of his friends today and Dani ran off with carl lying she had a study session. There'll be a session, alright, but it didn't involve books. I noticed the way he was staring at her when he thought no one was looking.

Mum stops in front of a shelf, "Push that trolley quicker, Mi." She demands and I do as she says. "There's a discount on this vanilla ice cream, we have chocolate and mint at home," she puts three pint in the trolley, making the trolley full. "Oh, there's no more space in the trolley, let me grab a basket," she walks off and I groan internally I should have looked for an excuse to escape this woman today.

[|]

"Park there," she orders, we had left the store and we were now in the bakery to buy baked goods. Mum couldn't bake for anything, she has never gotten around baking but she is a good cook. I still remember when we were was younger, mum had started taking baking lessons, thinking it'll help and she promised to make Dani and I cupcakes, we were so happy thinking we'll eat fluffy goodness, what we didn't expect were rocks, they were hard, since then she gave up on baking. She tries very once in a while and it ends up bad, she always misses an ingredient.

"I'm just going to get a few things, wait in the car," she says opening the door, docking her head and going out of the minivan, leaving me alone for the first time since I volunteered to go shopping with her.

My phone pings, alerting me that there's a notification, I bring it out of my hoodie pocket, turning it on a d typing my pin, it opens and I see a message from an unknown number, I tap on it and read it.

Unknown.
Hey it's Jerry, I saw Dani and she told me, you were back for Thanksgiving, can we meet up?

I read and re-read, over and over, mulling over the message. He wanted to meet up? I can't imagine that, me and him in the same room or place. We haven't spoken to each other, like we normal would before we started dating. We steered off each other's path. Why does he want to meet up?

I start typing *NO* but I decide against it.

Me. 
  Yes.

Mum told me we were having dinner at his parent's tomorrow, then we'll talk since that's what he wants to do.

[|]

"

Thanks for the dinner, Grace," Carl tells mum, she smiles at him, I can tell she likes him by how lenient she is with h, she allowed him to call her Grace, instead of Mrs. Adeshola, she insists all Dani's former boyfriends call her.

"You're welcome Carl and I'm glad you enjoyed my meal," mum says leaning info dad, he wraps his arm around her and she leans her head on his shoulder. I turn my head away from both of them and I see Dani and Carl sharing a blanket, whispering to each other. I sit there looking at both couples.

I envy what my sister has found, she looks happy, her eyes has that joy in her eyes since I saw her yesterday and I have always wanted what my parents have. The love they share for each other is genuine and I want that to but I don't think I can ever have it.

"So Gbemi, how's life in New York?" Mum asks, starting a conversation with me.

"Busy but it's ok." I answer her.

"How's your job?" Dad comes in, by job, he means my job at McClain. I didn't tell I quit. They'll have suggested I came back home and they will look for a job for me, but I don't want to move back here. I only told Dani and begged her not to disclose it to them.

"Tiring but it's just fine," I answer him which is true my job at the cafe was tiring but I was managing it.

"That's good to hear," he nods smiling at me, I looked more like him, because he looked more like my biological father, which I looked like very well.

"Did you hear that Jerry is getting married to Madison?" Dani asks, I nod. "Oh, he called you didn't he?" I nod again. "How do you feel about it?"

"Shocked, I guess. How can he marry her? That girl tormented me throughout high school," I say in a as a matter of fact voice.

"Yeah, that's what I thought to but you remember Jerry wasn't in high school with you guys right and you insisted on him not ever finding out about it," she tells me.

I know she's right, I didn't want him to find out I was been bullied in school, I didn't want him to find out at all because I knew he would have fought with his dad to stay at home to stop the bulling. That was the kind of person he was.

"Yeah that's on me," I accept, knowing it us true.

"Are you going to tell him?" Mum asks, dad looks at me inquisitively, Carl smiles at me encouragingly and Dani just looks at me.

"I don't know yet," I say and my mum and sister nod accepting my answer.

"Ok enough talk about Jerry and his fiancee, Mi is there anything in your life we should know about?" Mum says looking at me suggestively.

"Yes mum and his name is work," I quip and dad laughs at that, Dani and Carl chuckles too.

"Don't be sassy young lady. I'm worried about you, you've never had a boyfriend before," she tells me.

That's what you think.

"The right one will find me mum," I say. Not really knowing the right one will soon find me.

🌟
Hey guys, I'm back with another update, I hope you enjoy reading it.
Don't forget to hit that little star at the end, comment and also share to friends.
Love you guys❤️.