xxi (edited)

Halloween.

I didn't know how to feel about this day. I guess I had many memories of this day. A few of them good and a lot of them bad. All the bad memories were complemented by Madison Davis, the Queen B of my high school. She always threw racial slurs at me, indirectly, at me when I dressed up for the day. Not like she didn't do it on a normal day, about how no costume ever fits black girls and how ugly I looked. She made sure to always humiliate me, it was one of her favorite past time. It was fun for her but it made me self-conscious and I had low self esteem during high school. They were the worst years of my life.

I didn't have lots of friends, who am I kidding? I didn't have friends at all, my friends throughout elementary to middle school left me in high school. They decided they didn't want to be my friend anymore, which sucked but what could I do? I didn't try making friends after that, for the next four years in school. They were also good memories too, all those good memories, featured my sister Dani. She was the best. She followed me for trick-a-treat. She really the most fun person I know. She always had ways to make me happy, even though halftime she is a bitch.  She always stood up for me when Madison and her clones ganged up on me.

"I'd a pumpkin spice latte," a voice breaks me out of my reverie. I look at the girl in front of the counter. She was really cute, I'm not sure she is up to 18, maybe 16 or 15 at most, she looked Asian, mixed. She had small dark eyes and a cute button nose with rosy red lips. Her face is face shaped and her hair which was supposed to be brown or black was red, telling me she wasn't fully Asian and another feature, I noticed in her that wasn't common in Asian women was her height. She was tall, taller than myself with some inches. She is wearing a very simple costume, one of the Disney princesses I can't remember their names, Dani forced me to watch them.

"Ok that would fifteen dollars," I tell her smiling, it is overpriced. Mr. Reeks added Halloween costume latte and they were expensive.

She frowns, her brow furrowing, almost touching her eyes. "Tell me why I would want to pay that amount for coffee."

"'cause it's Halloween?" I reply but it comes out more as a question.

She shrugs her slim shoulder elegantly, then nods. "Ok, give me one."

I turn to Ellis and tell her the orders, "One pumpkin spice latte."

"Coming right up," she says sounding dead like I feel inside. Working here dies that to you.

I turn back to the girl. "Your latte is coming right up," I tell her faking a cherry voice, she raises her brow and sits on the stool, Mr. Reeks added new features too.

"I'll be waiting," she says smiling, revealing her dimples.

[[|]]

I stare at myself in the mirror, I'm still in shock by what I'm dressed as tonight, I found out Gladis, Diego and Marcel had planned a night out for Halloween. We were going for a Halloween party at a club. Gladis had bought me a cowgirl outfit. A short, a crop top which had torn edges and fringes underneath the arm and a hat. She also added a fish net stocking to it. I'm wearing a black lacy bra, she made sure to make my bra peak out from the shirt, popping two buttons to tease anyone looking at my cleavage. She topped off the look with polished brown over the kneel boots. She did my makeup, giving me a bold look, I wouldn't normally opt for but it suited my personality for the night. She added a wig, a blonde wig, it had voluminous curls and I really loved it. Every piece of clothing made me feel confident, how I don't usually feel in any of my costumes. I usually just sat at home for Halloween every other year after high school, eating a big tube of ice cream.

"Chica, we're waiting for you," Diego calls from the other side of the door banging the door, I look at myself one last time before heading to the door.

I hear Gladis hitting him for banging on the door, making him exclaim loudly. "I have told you to stop hitting the door like that," she scolds him sounding stern. I grab the handle and pull the door open, Diego who is wearing a scowl, glaring at Gladis who smiles upon seeing me.

"Gosh!! You look hot." Diego compliments, scanning me my costume with a nod of approval.

"Thanks." I say smiling back at me, doing the same with his outfit, he us wearing a green lace shirt but he doesn't fasten it up revealing his tanned chest, the fabric used for the shirt glittering. His pants is also a glittering red fabric, it hugs his legs. He also wears a gold glittering shoe, the shoe has a curved, pointed tip. I, then notice he is wearing prosthetic elf ears. "You're an elf?"

"Yeah, a sexy elf, I'll fulfil all your wishes tonight," he tells me winking.

Gladis groans, "Don't ever say that again. It's cringe-y."

Diego chuckles.

She is wearing a simple coat, which is weird. She dressed me up. Why is she wearing a coat? "And what are you wearing?" I ask, very curious to hear her answer.

"A coat," she answers staring at me like I'm the weird one.

"This is your costume?"

"Yes"

"A coat? Are you sure you know what you're wearing? You dressed me up," I say now looking at her like she was the weird one.

As she opens her mouth to speak, Diego beats her to it knowing we wouldn't end up going to the club if he allowed us to keep talking.  "Can we go now? We're late. The club is probably packed by now."

🌟
Halloween is almost near.
Who do we want to dress up as this year?
Do you celebrate Halloween? Tell me how you celebrate it.
In Nigeria we know of the days but we don't celebrate but I have always like to celebrate it.

Tell me your thoughts on this chapter.
Don't forget the read, hit the star and comment.

Please check out my new book, all the damaged ones, it's a cop and lawyer romance.