xi (edited)

This chapter was thoroughly edited

[[|]]

My phone pings from the other side of the table it has been a distraction to me and I haven't been able to finish my work and that has been making Mr. McClain harsher. I yawn, obviously tired from my work. I pause my work and grab my phone, turning it on. There's a message from Diego telling me he is in the building.

'What are you doing here?' I type and send, he doesn't reply after a while, so, I turn off my phone and force myself to continue to continue typing on the keyboard.

By 12, I'm almost done with my work, just few paragraphs left. I decide to take a break, have lunch outside, ask Gladis to join me. I get up, straighten my pencil skirt and I walk to Mr. McClain's door, knock before entering. "Sir it's twelve, I'm going out to have lunch." I pause sweeping my eyes on his desk. "Is there anything you need before I leave, sir?" I ask not inclined to but it is my job.

He doesn't even raise his head to look at me, he waves me off, dismissing me. I take that has my cue to leave before he changes his mind. I scurry out of his office like my ass is on fire. I carry my purse, ensuring that there's cash, carrying my phone I put it inside and walk to the elevator.
The door parts open, entering inside I press the button 1 is engraved on and the door slides close. It stops at the fifth floor, the door parts open, revealing Diego and Bryan standing beside each other, Diego grins at me and enters the elevator, hugging me and I hug him back, chuckling.

"Hey chica." Diego greets, excitedly upon releasing me, Bryan enters the elevator with us, the elevator door slides close and I watch them both closely, they both share some similarities, I didn't even notice.

"Hey Gbemi." Bryan greets, getting the pronunciation right, smiling revealing those pearly white.

Now I know why Diego smile looked so familiar, Bryan smile is just like it. "Wait, are you two related?"

Diego beams. "Yep. This guy is my brother. Step brother, actually, different dads." Bryan nods in agreement.

"So that's the reason you know.....I stop midway as the door parts open, Bryan walks out first and we follow. "So that's the reason you know Mr. McClain, Diego?"

"Yes, that's the reason I know that asshole," Diego curses.

Bryan scoffs. "He wasn't an asshole when you had a crush on him."

Diego turns flush, it makes me laugh. "It was just a little crush," he states.

We both wave at Gladis as we pass by, Bryan doesn't wave- both of them just ignore each other, I have never asked Gladis why. They pretend like they don't see each other when they are in the same room, you'll think as they grew up together they'd be close but they ignore each other. I'll have to ask.

Bryan snorts. "Little. Did we not grow up in the same house? Anytime I said he was coming over, you used used mum's expensive air freshener all the house, so it wouldn't 'smell'." He air quotes.

If it's possible Diego face becomes more flushed but he rolls his eyes, feigning ignorance. "Puh-lease, I didn't do that."

"Sure you didn't." Bryan says dryly.

We step out if the building. "Where are you guys heading?"

"To eat. What about you?"

"To eat."

We smile and go walk together to a restaurant.

×

I am picking up Mr. McClain clothes from the laundromat. The lady at the counter, gives me the bags, I collect it, thanking her with a polite smile on my face. I walk out of the laundromat and hail for a cab in the busy street of NYC, many taxis drives past me before one finally pulls up slowly in front of me, I open the back door, docking my head, I enter.

"Where to?" The driver asks looking at the rearview mirror.

I check my purse for cash. I see there's only a 150 box in it. Even though Mr. McClain gave me his credit card I hardly use it for my transportation,I use my own money.  "Business district. McClain &  Co construction."

He grunts and starts driving, we spend 20 minutes in traffic and 15 minutes driving before getting to the office. The drive to the office is supposed to be a 15 minutes drive and 30 minutes when you walk because of the traffic we spent 35 minutes.

I pay as he pulls up in front of the building and he gives me change, I alight carrying the paper bags, I'll be dropping it off on the way home.

I walk into the building, heading to the elevator going to the last floor. I'm kind of in a rush so I don't greet Gladis.

"Gbemi." Gladis calls from her desk, I turn my head to her, she waves me over.

I turn around and walk quickly to her. "What's up? I'm kind of busy."

"I know. I can see but Mr. McClain called, he was looking for you," she tells me, making my brow my raise. What did he want now?. "He told me, he called you but it wasn't going through so he called the land line, he told me to give you this when you got back." She says opening her drawer and looking for something in it, then she grunts and gives me a piece of paper.

As I read the paper, I groan, this man is devilish, is he not the one that sent me out over an hour ago? Why didn't he tell me to do this? What's wrong with him? I sigh, tired. "Thank you for writing it down. Can you help me keep these bags till I get back?" I asks and she nods, I place the bags on the desk, she slides them across the desk and puts them behind her desks. "Thanks."

"Don't worry," she tells me, giving me an assuring smile.

×

The cab stops in front of the cafe Mr. McClain frequently went to. I ask the driver if he can wait for me, he tells me he can't, I pay him and get out. I walk to the cafe door, pushing it open, the bell rings. The patrons turns to look at me,before going back to whatever they were doing, the cafe isn't very busy as it usual is in the morning, which is a plus, I walk up to the counter.

There's a boy behind the counter, he smiles at me, his dimples showing. "Good morning, welcome to The cafe what would you like to order?" He asks smiling.

I never seen him here before so he probably just started working here, his smile makes him look so much younger than he already is. He looks like he could be 18. Maybe. Not sure. He looks fresh out of high school trying to figure everything out this summer. Been there.

I return his infectious smile. "I want a black coffee and a large caramel macchiato to go. And a box of chocolate and strawberry muffin each."

He types in my order in the inbuilt tablet glued to the counter to calculate my order. "That'll be $50 box."

I search my bag for Mr. McClain black card, he gave to take care of any of his personal dealings when he sent on errands, I see it and give it to the boy. "Here."

He collects the card and swipes it on the tablet, he gives me the card when he is done, "Let me go get your orders." He turns around and leaves me, walking to the door at the door, opens it and enters inside. It doesn't take long before he is back with the order, he places the bags  on the counter.

"Thanks." I tell him smiling collecting them from the counter.

He smiles back at me. "Come back." He calls after me as I walk away from the counter and walks out of the cafe.

   ⭐

I have decided not to submit this book for wattys award. it's really sad but there isn't much i can do, I can't seem to find the site where the submit icon is.
How was this chapter?
Please read, vote and comment.