xiii (edited)

This chapter was thoroughly edited.

[[|]]

The elevator door sides close, my eyes on the button as it ascends. The button lightening up on every floor, I'm wondering why it is taking so long today?. It doesn't normally take this long. I don't want to be in a confined space with Mr. McClain, especially with my emotions all over the place.

The elevator, finally, stops on the sixth floor, Mr. McClain rushes out before the door parts open finish, I confused at his behavior, I walk out of the cabin. He gets to his office before I'm even half way to my desk. I slump on the couch, my head resting on the headrest.

My period, suddenly appeared this morning, I have been expecting for two weeks and my hope diminishing that it will appear this month. I have been irritated since I woke up this morning, it was also the reason for my emotion been all the place. I almost screamed at Mr. McClain when he embarrassed me in front of one of his associates, I controlled myself. I thankfully had a pad remaining from the one. I am having terrible cramps, mostly due to the fact I haven't had anything to eat, only coffee this morning. It is already quarter past 12.

"You think I don't know that."

I recognize the voice immediately, it was Mr. McClain, it sounded strained and stressed out.

Who was he shouting at?

I am happy that it is not me. I don't know what moves me, I get up and walk to the door. I press my ear to it, holding the knob so it wouldn't move. Alerting him. I know what I'm doing his wrong but I'm madly curious. It's quiet for a while and I almost give up, turning to leave.

"You're not being fair her." That voice sounds very familiar, breaks the silence. I think it's Bryan. Not sure.

"I don't want her here. I don't even know why I hired her to be my P.A." Mr. McClain speaks next. Not breaking a beat. He sounds more like himself. Me. They were talking about me. I listen more closely. "She was suppose to be gone by now, Bryan."

Got the second right.

"She was supposed to last a week. A week. Not more, she has been here for almost two months. I have done everything to make her leave, made her sort out files manually even though the files had copies in the computer, I didn't need to the paper files." He chuckles, it sounds mocking. I feel my blood boiling at how wicked this man is. " I made her resume early and she closed really late. Given her other unnecessary tasks, that she doesn't need to do but she does them." He hits his palm on his table.

Tears springs out uncontrollably from my eyes and I become more angry. So he gave me this job just to take it from me. That's a very sick and heartless thing to do to somebody. Not like I expected much from him. I wipe my tears off my face. I'll leave before he plans on firing me.

I push the door open, surprising both men by their expressions. I don't let them talk. "You don't have to waste you precious time formulating plans to make me leave. I quit." I revel their shocked expressions. For a second. "Send me my pay cheque."

I swerve, slamming the door with a loud bang. I rush to my desk, well not my desk, anymore. I grab my bag, making sure my phone and wallet is in there before I run to the elevator, wanting to get out of here before I burst out in tears. I press the button six, entering quickly. I see Bryan by the desk watching me with a remorseful eyes, he mouths 'sorry'.

I obviously ignore it, my head bowing as a tear slides down my cheek. I don't want him to see it. I don't even know why I'm crying. It's just a job. Nobody died or anything. But I keep crying, my head bowed. Even though there's nobody like the elevator with me. It stops at the fourth floor and someone enters, I don't raise my head to check who it might be.

I rush out of the elevator, my hand clenched around my  bag, praying silently Gladis wouldn't see me and I rush out of the building.

One my way home, I feel numb. When the cab stops at my apartment, I pay the driver and get out. I walk into the building, not greeting Julius, I don't even look at him. I walk to the emergency door. I pull the door open and close the door behind me. I walk slowly up the stairs.

For the first time in years I wished the elevator in this apartment works.

I push the door open when I get to my floor and step out. For once I don't wince when my door closes with a loud bang. I didn't care. I walk to my door and search for the keys in my bag. I bring it once I find it, inserting it in the keyhole. I don't even twist it, it gives way.

My stomach twists uncomfortably. The first emotion I have since I left the office.

I push the door open to reveal an empty apartment. I cover my mouth, my heart dropping to my stomach. I'm frozen. I don't know how I did it but I drag my feet entering my apartment. I close the door.

I'm frozen in shock.

The only thing in my living room is the makeshift coffee table. I turn to my kitchen, all the cabinets and drawers are open, all my utensils were taken. My refrigerator was left open too, it was empty. They took everything.

I drop my bag on the floor and walk in urgency to my bedroom. My bed is still in the room but all the things in my vanity table is gone. I rush to my wardrobe and open it, all my new clothes were taken and even the old ones.

I slump on the floor unable to hold myself. I finally cry not been to hold it in anymore. I cry for myself. My dad having cancer. For quitting my job because of my sabotaging ex-boss. Not knowing I'll need it more than anything, now. For coming home to an empty apartment, everything I have worked hard for, gone.

I'm sorry I wasn't able to update yesterday.
I don't even know what happened. For the first time in a long time I forgot. I'm so sorry guys.

Please don't forget to vote and comment.