x (edited)

This chapter was thoroughly edited.

[[|]]

"Let's  go out." Chelsea says looking at me with puppy dog eyes, her lips jutting out, looking like a puppy. I almost fall for it then I remember how much work I still have to do.

"Sorry Chelsea, I'm really busy, just sit down and play with your phone," I tell her.

She sighs dramatically, "There's nothing to do on it, everything is boring and mum locked the interesting apps," she complains.

I roll my eyes. "Please go sit, let me finish my work," I plead with her, she sighs again and turns around dragged her feet back to the sofa, she slumps on it and mutters something.

"Did you say something?" I ask, she turns to me and beams.

"Nothing."

I nod and continue my work, Mr. McClain added some documents for me to go through and check if there were any errors. Chelsea doesn't say anything for a while only sighing dramatically but I pay her no mind, doing my work.

The landline rings.

I lift my head from my work and pick up the receiver, "Hello, this is Mr. McClain's office, what can I do for you?"

The line is silent, I remove it from my ear and check to see if the line is dead but it is still on, "Hello? Helloooo?" When nobody answers, I drop it back on the desk.

Weird.

I continue my work for a while, then something hits me, I haven't heard Chelsea's sigh for a while, I lift my head to check on her to find out she is missing, her phone is on the sofa, I spring up from my chair, my body turns cold and I start panicking.

Where did she go? I'm going to lose my job.

I walk briskly to the sofa and check her phone, it's switched off. The landline rings, again. I run to my table, dread filling me. I pick up the receiver and place it on my ear.

"My office now!" Mr. McClain voice booms making me wince.

He knows.

Mr. McClain knows that I have lost his niece and I'm going to lose my job.

My hands are shaking as I drop the receiver on my desk- well I'm not sure it's mine anymore-  I blow my cheek out, clenching my hand to reduce all the shaking.

I push the door open slowly to buy myself some time and step in. I keep a distance from his desk because of how mad he looks. I'm very scared of what he can do to me. My voice trembles as I speak. "I'm sorry, sir. I didn't notice when she slipped away but I'll look for her. "

Mr. McClain looks confused, "What are talking about? Chelsea is here." He tells me pointing to the sofa behind me, my head swivel to the couch to see a very guilty looking Chelsea. Relief fills me then anger. "She snuck into my office interrupting my meeting. Take her out or something. I want her out of this building." He orders, looking exasperated.

"But sir, I haven't finished the work you gave me," I countered, tired of him giving me unnecessary work to do.

"Continue tomorrow." He tells me not even looking at me. " Now take her and leave my office."

I turn to Chelsea, glaring at her, she bows her - that's right feel guilty - "Let's go." She gets up and follows me out. I turn to her once we're out of his office, "Why would you do that?"

She gulps when she sees how angry I look. "I'm sorry I'm tricked you," she mumbles looking down at her feet but I hear her.

I sigh, closing my eyes.