xiv (edited)

This chapter was thoroughly edited.....

Continuation of the last chapter.

[[|]]

I don't know how long I have been crying for. I couldn't tell. All I knew is that I left my bedroom and I am now in my living room, lying on the floor. A million time going through my brain at once. Always going in the same direction.

After sometime I sit up, tired of just sitting down. I take my bag and pull out my phone. Turning it on. I state at the wallpaper. A summer themed wallpaper. I choose each of my wallpaper according to the seasons. I did it for other seasons too.

I didn't feel like crying alone, I needed a shoulder to cry on. I tap on the contact icon, staring at my contact list. It is really depressing. I don't have many contacts. My parents. Both. My sister. My chest burns, as I see Mr. McClain's. I delete it. I did not wanting anything to do with him. Then I see Gladis. Diego. And Marcel. I contemplate who to call. I can't call my parents. This will make them worry about me. They have enough on their plate as it is. I can't call Dani too, she might accidentally slip it out. My options are listed, either Gladis or Diego.

I tap on Gladis contact, hesitantly. It rings.

"Hey girl. I didn't see you at work today. Were you sick,?" She chews on something.

I try really hard to stop myself but a sob wracks from my chest. "Are you ok Gbemi?"

Her voice filled with concerns. It makes me know I might have done something good by calling her.

"I'm not ok." I sob, telling her the truth. "Can you come visit me?"

"Yes I'm coming." I hear her shuffling around. ,"Should I stay on the line?"

"Yes please." I say, wiping my eyes with my blouse to stop the tears but it doesn't stop. "If it's not too much."

"It is not." Her voice comes out strongly. I hear a door open and closing, with jingling. I hear her shoe hitting and squeaking as she runs and her uneven breathing. "You want to tell me what happened?"

I sigh, feeling exhausted just thinking of the situation I found myself in. "I found out on Tuesday, my dad was diagnosed with cancer. Now today I quit my job and on coming home, I find an empty apartment. Someone broke in."

"You have a bad week. I'm sorry I didn't notice." She pants softly. She's on the third floor, meaning she has to climb down 60 stair cases which isn't easy to run on. "Is he going to get treatment?"

"Yes. My mum begged him to. He will probably begin when they get back to the country." I tell her, a tear slides down the curve of my cheeks.

"They aren't in the country?"

I know she is trying to make a conversation to distract me.

"No. They've been traveling the world for four years. Well I was in my junior year of college." I answer her, kicking my leg out from under me.

"Ok. Would you like to tell me why you quit? I knew it was stressful but you were handling with it very well."

I hear the creak of a door open and the door swinging back close. Her shoes hitting the floor.

I lay on the floor, tears roll down the sides of my face to my neck. "I'll tell you when you get here. I don't want to talk about it on the phone."

"Did something happen? Did Adam do anything to you?" She asks, sounding very concerned and serious. I hear her telling somebody something before a door opens and is slammed close.

I don't say anything.

"Gbemi?"

"Yes. I will tell I promise. It's not big like that but it really hurt me. I guess it's naive of me to believe everyone has good in me."

"Oh. I'm sorry for whatever he did." She apologizes, sounding very sincere.

Gladis is an exception to that. She was the most sincere person, I have met in a long time.

I sniffle, rubbing my nose. I yawn softly. "Can you help get me pad. My period started this morning, I wasn't expecting it. I didn't prepare for it. It's also the reason my emotions are all the place." I ramble.

"Ok. I'll do that." There's a pause. "Have you eaten today?" She asks in a motherly tone. Soft yet firm.

"Yeah a pizza will be ok. Get me any type. I don't care." I tell her. I wasn't picky with my food. I could eat anything well except from salad. Probably the reason for my not flat stomach.

She talks to somebody at the other side but I can't hear what she telling the person. There's a squelch before speaks to me. "Are you that's only what you want? I can get you more things." There's another pause. "I'll get you more."

I don't argue with her, she sounded very determined. I won't win against her. The line is quiet, just occasional rustling coming the other side. "Which pad do you use?"

I shrug as if she can see me, then I remember she is not with me. "Any of the cheap ones. Don't waste your money on the expensive ones. They are all for the same function." I say. "When you get here, I will give you your money."

She doesn't acknowledge my words. "Are you having cramps?"

Funny when I woke up this morning, thought the only thing bad that would spoil my day was my cramps. When more important things came up, I forgot about it. It just disappeared, my other pain taking over. "No but can you get some painkillers? I haven't had anything to eat so it might come back."

"Ok. Want snacks?"

I shrug my shoulder, lifting it off the floor. Once again forgetting that she is not here. "Sure." My eyes droops slowly until I'm out.

How do to you like this chapter?
Please vote, comment and share.