Part 70: 'You're going to want to get out of my way, mate.'

An annoying buzzing sound thumped in my head. I rolled over and groaned grabbing my phone.

"Hello," I mumbled to whoever called me.

"Why are you still in bed?" It was Bonnie. "Busy night?" She teased.

"Actually no." I rolled over to see if Nik was still asleep and to my surprise he was. "Just a late one."

"Oh come on your telling me you haven't been going at it like crazy? Actually don't answer that. We're throwing a surprise party for Caroline tonight and obviously your coming." I bit my lip nervously thinking about Elena.

"Bonnie obviously I wanna be there for Caroline but if Elena's going to be there then I'm not sure. I don't want to ruin Care's birthday." I could feel Nik start to wake beside me.

"Elena isn't going to say anything I promise. Now I'm hanging up and you coming to Caroline's tonight end of discussion." The call ended and I had the sudden urge to throw my phone across the room. I huffed and set it on the bedside table.

"Don't be so moody." Nik groaned beside me. "You love Caroline." I folded my arms and glare at him. "What?"

"It's more complicated than that." He chuckled and propped himself up expectantly. "I adore Caroline and it's her birthday so obviously I want to be there but if Elena's there and she's mad at me, I don't want to ruin her day."

"So just to clarify, you're not blessing them with your presence because you're scared of what Elena's reaction will be." I glared at him and grabbed a pillow to throw at him. He pulled it off his face looking unimpressed. "I'm just saying love, I didn't expect you to be such a coward."

"I am not!" I defended myself adamantly.

"Exactly, so stop acting like one." I sighed defeatedly. "You already missed school."

"Only because I was exhausted after last night." I pointed at him accusingly.

"Want me to make you more exhausted." He nipped at my finger teasingly.

"No, I have to shower and get to Caroline's." I kissed him lightly before getting up.

"I could join you." He called after me.

"You need to go check on the puppies." That was what I was calling the hybrids.

I showered quickly and then headed downstairs to see Stefan and Klaus glaring at each other.

"Adeline." Stefan greeted upon seeing me. "You know, I don't like your hybrid friends. They're everywhere, kind of like fleas. I want them gone." Stefan was not going to win this argument with Nik, there was no way he was getting rid of the pups.

"Yeah, well I kind of like having them around. You know, I'm hurt. I hoped that when I freed you, we'd pick up where we left off. But here you are, guzzling vervain like the rest of them, I'm sure. So much for friendship."

"Friends don't strip friends of their free will and unlike Addie, you can't lure me back into your bed."

"Hey!" I defended myself. Stefan smiled at me in a slight apology.

"Okay, granted, yeah, that was a little extreme, but I get a little moody. Just ask my siblings. Speaking of whom, isn't it time you handed them over?" Klaus narrowed his eyes at Stefan.

"Klaus, get your hybrids out of Mystic Falls or I will remove them myself." Stefan took a step closer to Klaus.

"Hmm. You see, if you continue to threaten me, I'm gonna be forced to retaliate. Kill people. And it will get messy again." I winched at the threat.