Part 71: 'What did I miss?'

Klaus never came to bed and I was happy with that. When I got up the next morning he was gone. I showered and got ready telling myself I didn't care that he was being an ass.

In the back of my mind doubt began to creep in. Had I made the wrong decision in forgiving Klaus so quickly? Had it been fuelled by pure desire?

I had been in my own fantasy world the last few days and something about seeing Caroline in such a state had made my stomach turn in guilt. He had agreed to leave my friends alone but if it came down to it, would he? I wasn't sure.

And then there was Katherine. His hatred for her still burned bright and I had this constant fear that if I ever saw her again it would be the last time I did. And Elijah was in a coffin and I hadn't seen Rebekah in ages and the more I thought about it the more my conviction fell apart.

I headed downstairs prepared to leave when two hybrids stood in front of me.

"Excuse me." I tried to move around them but they remained in my way. "Can you move please?"

"I apologise but Klaus has informed us you aren't to leave." All I saw was red.

"What the hell do you mean, Klaus says I can't leave," I growled at them.

"He told us you are to stay here." I was practically breathing fire. The only thing stopping me from snapping both their necks was the fact it wasn't their fault.

I turned on my heel and stormed upstairs to grab my phone. I rang Klaus immediately and he picked up almost instantly.

"Good morning my love. How did you sleep?" He asked, I could tell from his tone he was fucking smirking.

"If you don't tell those damned mutts to let me out of this house this instant I'm going to"

"Going to what? Run away? That seems pretty impossible right now. And that's about the only threat you have so it seems you are in a tight position my swan." My frustration was building but also this overwhelming fear.

"Why are you doing this? I don't like this Nik." It was funny, the feeling of your heart splitting into two. It was impossible to only love half a person and it made those ugly parts that much more evident.

"Because I love you, Adeline. And because I have to deal with your friends today and I can't have them corrupting you. All they want is to separate us, can't you see that?" I couldn't believe he was saying this.

"I want to leave now! Tell them to let me out." I could feel the walls start to close in. Every shadow of light was a whisper of insecurity that I had once again misjudged him, allowing him to hurt me again.

"Listen, swan..."

"No! You listen to me. This is meant to be a partnership. That means we are equal and you are not in charge of me. I want to leave this house right now so you either ask this fucking dog to move or I swear I will tear him in two." I was seething in anger. I had risked everything for him. I was willing to give up the life I had built and he was locking me away.

"I love you Adeline and one day you will understand why it had to be like this." He ended the call.

The temptation to throw my phone at the wall called to me but instead, I took a breath and sat down. I felt betrayed. I had trusted Klaus and he had hurt Caroline and instead of dealing with that like a reasonable person he trapped me in this house. A relationship is built on respect and trust and he seemed to have neither for me. I loved him. I was in love with him. But maybe that wasn't enough.

I stood up nibbling on the ends of my nails nervously. I picked my phone up and dialled unsurely.

"Ade?" Damon answered immediately.