Chapter 17

CHAPTER 17

            "Alright Halle, it's settled, Mia is flying out to meet us at our next concert.  I can't believe we're really doing this," Harry said, taking my hands.  We were on a break during the sound check and I was about to talk to Jaden.  I had called him a little while ago and asked him to come out here, and he said he would be here any minute now.  I had talked to Paul and told him to let him in when he gets here, and now I'm just waiting in the dressing room for him to come in.  "How are you feeling about all of this?" 

            "I feel confident, but to be honest, I'm extremely nervous about what Jaden is going to say.  I'm more than nervous; I'm scared.  Really, really scared," I said, taking my hands from Harry because I didn't want Jaden to walk in and see this before I get to talk to him.  I heard footsteps coming from the hallway.  "Go Haz, I'll call you in when it's done."  He nodded and walked out of the room as Jaden came in.

            "Hey babe," he said, kissing my cheek.

            "Hey, there's something I need to talk to you about," I said, fiddling with my thumbs.  I'm so scared; I have to remind myself to breathe.

            "What's wrong, Halle?" he asked, giving me a very confused look.

            "Please don't hate me," I whispered, tears flooding my eyes.

            "Why on earth would I hate you?" Jaden said, looking shocked.  He grabbed my arm and said: "You can tell me anything."

            I let a tear roll down my cheek and released myself from his grasp.  "I don't think this is working."  Silence.  "Jay?"

            "Why?" He looked genuinely hurt.  Crushed. 

            "I don't know how to put this any other way, but I'm in love," I muttered, hoping he couldn't hear me; but then again, I want him to hear me so I don't have to say it again.

            "Who?" Now he looked mad.

            "Harry."

            "I KNEW SOMETHING WAS GOING ON BETWEEN YOU TWO!" he screamed at me.  I closed my eyes and a few tears fell.

            "I'm so-"

            "Don't. Say. Anything," he said between clenched teeth.  "Why would you DO THIS TO ME?  DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH I LOVE YOU?"  I nodded.  "Then why?" I opened my eyes and saw a tear fall down his cheek.  What kind of horrible person am I?

            "I'm sorry," I whispered, looking into his big blue eyes.  Full of pain.

            "That's all you have to say?  I was ready to spend the rest of my life with you, and this is how you treat me?  I've devoted do much of my life to you, and this is how you repay me?  How could you?"

            "I don't know what else to say!"  I got a sudden burst of strength and determination to make things where I can be with the one I love, Harry.

            "How long has this been going on?" he asked, getting angrier by the second.

            "I don't know, a while?" I said, but it came out as more of a question.  He stared at me for a second.  My strength started to fade and I wanted to go cry in a corner and never some out, but I couldn't do that.  I had to face this.

            "Whatever.  I'm leaving.  Don't ever expect to see me again."  With that, he turned and stormed out of the room, slamming the door behind him.  I sat down right in the middle of the floor, pulled my knees up to my chest, and cried.  I sat there for a couple minutes, and then pulled out my phone.