Chapter 9: The Things We Hope For

Song: Just For You

Artiste: Lil' Pitchy

-

***_***_***_***

Sometimes we have really high expectations from people. But the sad and rather disappointing reality is that sometimes when setting expectations, it is possible that maybe we set those expectations too high for anyone to meet.

And because we have those expectations so high, we end up setting ourselves up for disappointment or heartbreak.

Or sometimes we set ourselves up for both disappointment and heartbreak.

But let's face it. Maybe that's just a summary of life itself. Or maybe I'm reading too much into things.

I was now moping in my bed.

Hair matted and unable to move. I couldn't brush my teeth, neither could I eat.

All thanks to Sean Charlton.

***Flashback***

After saving me from my humiliation, Sean had led me upstairs and into his bedroom.

"The bathroom is over there," he said.

I nodded and hurried to get myself cleaned up.

Thankfully my dress wasn't wet but my legs were sticky from whatever liquid Dontae had put in that cup.

My face was flushed with what I think was excitement.

Quickly, I cleaned my legs off with wipes and inspected my face. After a couple minutes of debating I put on some lip gloss.

"Vannessa?" I heard Sean yell.

He knows my name?

"Uh... Yeah." I answered awkwardly.

"You alright in there?"

He actually cared?

I swiftly twisted the tube of the lip gloss container back into place.

I wasn't sure what I would do once I came out of the bathroom but I didn't overthink for a second because I knew I would back out the last just up if I did.

I exited the bathroom door and smoothed out the dress I was wearing.

Sean was laying on the bed with his head resting on the headboard and his phone in hand. He turned his eyes to meet mine briefly before turning them back to his phone.

"You feeling better?" He queried.

I stood there awkwardly for a millisecond before putting one foot forward. Then another. And another.

I cleared my throat, "I'm alright. I think my thighs will live to see another day because they were only wet."

I cringed in mortification.

Damn it. Why did I just say that?

I blushed profusely but I tried to play it cool.

He chuckled.

"Um... Ok?" And smirked at the look of embarrassment on my face.

There was a moment of silence as I sat on the opposite side of Sean's bed.

I was new to all of this so I had no idea what I was supposed to do.

Should I just stay quiet?