Chapter 27: The Beginning Of The End

Song: Tal Bachman

Artiste: She's So High 

The photo above is Bella

Enjoy!

-

***_***_***_***

Dontae and I were working on a practice test, going over notes I took from a textbook about the principles of how various chemicals reacted to separate liquid concoctions.

This was one of the many assignments that Dontae's chemistry teacher had given him.

We had began our study session as soon as we were done with our surprisingly formal salutations of ‘good morning’.

I was still in a good mood after yesterday's unexpected events. Sean had called me this morning, wishing me a good day before I came over to Dontae's house at ten thirty a.m. in the morning. Having developed a routine where we meet at ten thirty to eleven a.m. at his house for all of our study sessions.

His housekeeper had welcomed me with a warm smile and a fresh batch of chocolate chip cookies when I appeared in the foyer. She was a kind lady who seemed to like making light conversation. She had shoved the tray in front of my face and I had released a shy laugh at her eagerness as I gingerly took one of the sweet delights.

The scent of freshly baked sweet treats wafted into my nostrils and as I happily indulged in the cookie, I couldn't help the contented sigh that had escaped me. 

After praising her, she had smiled happily before disappearing around the corner and into the kitchen.

“I think I'm gonna tap out now before my brains gives out.” Dontae exclaimed, seemingly in pain as he sunk deep into the plush, cloud-like cushions on his sofa.

I laughed and rolled my eyes at his antics.

“It's only been an hour, Dontae. You can suffer through one more hour.”

“Exactly.” He groaned. 

“An hour of pure torture. I don't know why I picked the hardest subjects for senior year. My A.P classes are like a punch in the face. I feel like I would rather get tackled a couple hundred times than do a bunch of homework and practice tests.”

“It's not that hard,” I chuckled. “It gets easier overtime.”

He scoffed and rolled his eyes, sinking deeper into the comfortable seat.

“Yeah, right. Says the girl who only has a perfect record of straight A's.”

Not anymore it seems.

But I didn't tell him that when he sent me one of his beautiful lopsided smiles. And I couldn't help returning it.

“You make it more bearable though, since you're such a good tutor. You're really good at explaining things and you make me laugh even when everything is too much to handle. Thanks for being amazing. You don't know how much it means to me that you're the one helping me.”