Chapter 16: The Nerves

Song: Teenage Dirtbag

Band: Wheatus

-

***_***_***_***

I couldn't believe it.

I was finally going on a date with Sean.

The Sean Charlton.

The popular boy of my school.

I was beyond nervous.

But the giddiness bubbling deep within my tummy counteracted with the nervousness that I felt. The excitement running through my veins could banish anyone's megrin and end the war on a battlefield.

My eyes couldn't leave the clock on my wall. I recently bought it for moments like these since I seem to be turning into a social butterfly each passing day.

Tick. Tick. Tick.

The clock mocked me from a distance.

It was 3:40 pm.

I block thoughts of Dontae as I didn't want to put a damper on my mood.

I didn't mean to kiss him.

I hope he doesn't get the wrong idea.

What will I say when I see him in our next study session?

Oh, hey. Sorry I kissed you, I didn't realize what I was doing.

How incredibly awkward.

And it will make me look even more stupid.

What will he think of me?

He's a playboy that could get any girl that he wants.

I hope he doesn't think I just go around kissing every guy that I come into contact with like a fly that infects any house it stumbles upon.

I groaned and decided to just keep my attention on the task before me.

I'll deal with Dontae when the time comes.

I head over to my closet to grab the dress that I had chosen to wear tonight. I discreetly or not so discreetly craned my neck and stole a glance at Dontae's window to see if he was still in his room.

To my dismay, he was nowhere to be found. I could only hear the faintest sound of music playing in his house.

I don't know why but my mood suddenly grew gloomy and a frown crept over my face as I ventured off into the walk-in closet.

***_***_***_***

Zipping up the dress proved to be a difficult task and I was getting annoyed since there was about forty-five minutes left for my date.

An angry huff leaves my body as I struggle for the one hundred and fiftieth time.

"I give up," I exhaled somberly. "It looks like I gained some weight in the last few months since I bought this."

Wilma humphed and swiped her forehead with the back of her hand. She was sweating profusely as if she were just running a hundred meter race. "You think?" She remarked distastefully with a grunt.

I ignored her wit and sulked.

I had called Wilma to come help me with this stubborn dress. The lady mentioned ran to my room with a broom in hand and a small bucket filled with water in tow, screaming 'where's the fire' and almost sprung into action to kill the invisible fire. It took me a while to fully tranquilize her and convince her to help me get ready.

"Maybe I should call this whole thing off." I grumbled bitterly. "Besides, if I am going to change then it would take another century to search for a second sensibly elegant dress and proceed to get dressed. And we don't have that amount of time on our hands since my friend is picking me up in less than thirty minutes."