Chapter 20: The Confrontation

Song: Nobody's Home

Artiste: Avril Lavigne

Enjoy!

-

***_***_***_***

Dontae had patiently driven behind me until I reached my home. He surprised me by waiting until I was safely inside my driveway before he drove over to his house.

I turned on my phone and gripped the small shopping bag that Dontae had given me when we were about to start the drive home.

I turned on my phone's screen. The bright light was almost blinding in the dark and my eyes slowly adjusted to it. When I read the time, I wanted to scream.

11:34 pm.

Crap.

I took a deep breath. Preparing myself for what was to come.

Inhale.

Exhale.

Inhale.

Exhale.

I retrieved the key from its hiding place and opened the front door.

While I was in my car I had prepared a plan in my head. The plan was simple honestly... Avoid my dad completely until morning. The only hard thing about the plan was entering the house and getting to my room as quietly as I could.

And so far my plan was failing pathetically. The stupid door was screeching and whining like a wounded animal as I pushed it open.

The familiar scent of lavender engulfed my senses as I stepped inside. I tried to shut the door gently. But yet again, it chose now to scream and holler. I wanted to slap some sense into it. To make matters worse, it suddenly shut with a loud slam as the breeze pulled it forwards.

The noise echoed throughout the house and I just knew that even the animals in Africa could hear the unpleasant sound.

Crap!

"Well I'm glad you finally came to your senses."

The lights flicked on, creating an ubiquitous glow around the house.

I jumped with fright and held my chest. The rate of my heart sped up and I turned painfully slow to face the voice that made me cringe with fear.

"Hi?" I squeaked nervously.

"Are you out of your mind?"

Maybe. At this point I've been asked that question enough times today that I was actually starting to believe it.

My dad stood at the foot of the stairs, raging like an angered bull. If we were in a cartoon, I'm sure steam would be pouring out of his ears in great clouds.

His arms were crossed and his eyes were narrowed at me.

I sighed heavily. I have been dreading this moment the whole day and now that it was finally here, I just wanted it to be over with as quickly as possible.

"Do you know how long I have been looking for you Vannessa. So much so that I had to ask our neighbor, Dontae, where you were when he pulled up into our driveway in your car!"

I cringed at the bass in his voice.

I guess Dontae wasn't skilled enough to not get caught it seems.

"And when I asked him, he refused to tell me where you were." He took a few steps towards me. He crossed his arms. Clearly fed up.

"Do you know what could have happened to you today? What if you had gotten kidnapped? Or worse, killed?!"

I had almost plummeted to my death a couple hours ago but was thankfully saved by my knight in shining armor, Dontae. But I wasn't going to tell that to my dad. Maybe he would have thrown me off the cliff himself if I ever heard about it.