Chapter 33: The Step Up

Song: Papaoutai

Artiste: Stromae

Thanks to Abb_Dizzle for making the lovely cover above

Enjoy!

-

***_***_***_***

I dropped my heavy books on top of the desk in my room. They landed with a loud thud and I sighed heavily. Dontae and I just finished working on an assignment for his chemistry class.

It was worth seventy percent of his grade and the topic we had chosen was 'The Concentration Of Sucrose In Syrups'. We had turned Dontae's room into a mini lab. The wide wooden table in his room that we always used to study had been shielded with a plastic tablecloth.

Narrow vials with wide bottoms, bunsen burners, a probe thermometer, a few of my old notebooks, Dontae's textbooks, pens, pencils and erasers had been strewn all over the table.

And with the help of Google search engine and a little brain power, we managed to do the experiment. Documenting the process in Dontae's lab book like the temperature used, the time the sugar took to liquidize in the water...

Unfortunately, we had to redo the process a second time after Dontae had caused the sugar based solution to crystallize when I went to the bathroom. I had gotten upset with him but he just raised his arms in defense and said 'it's my fault for wanting to use the bathroom when I knew he was a handicap in chemistry'.

But nonetheless, we had spent less than three hours at his house. Surprisingly. And since school had ended two hours earlier than usual because of an emergency staff meeting. And Dontae somehow convinced my dad's driver, Pattrick, to let him drop me home. We went over to his house and instantly started working on the project.

I glanced at the large clock on my wall to see that it was now 4:21 p.m.

Buzz. Buzz. Buzz.

I jerked a little when something jiggled on my buttocks. I gasped and was about to run out of my room like a madwoman while squishing my butt cheeks and looking around wildly in panic. Almost toppling over my vanity chair, I found the culprit to my scare and frowned.

I sighed in relief and studied the brightly lit screen. Mary and Allison's names popped up and I was being asked to join a group call.

My heart sunk.

I had hoped it would be Sean calling me since I haven't heard anything from him after the big fiasco in the school's cafeteria this morning.

Yes. I was still angry with him and I could call to find out how he is. But he was wrong for blowing up on Dontae when Dontae was only trying to protect me.

Also, I was partly surprised that Mary and Allison were calling me. We have never really spoken verbally unless Quincy had been around. We mostly talked over text and so, I hesitated.