Chapter 4: The Gala

Song: Find You Again

Artistes: Martin Garrix ft. Camila Cabello 

-

***_***_***_***

The cool breeze took control of my dark curls, dictating their every move.

The silence was deafening and I tried my best to steady my increasingly growing nerves as my heart palpitated behind my ribcage.

My breathing became shallow, and with much hesitancy, I turned back around to face him.

“W-what?”

The porch light flicked on as the sun began to kiss the day goodbye. I watched as the cloudy sky behind the sluggishly disappearing sun decorated the sky with a colour scope of peach, passion fruit yellow, neon pink and small hints of grey.

Dontae's eyes squinted as he studied me. I could see the ripening of anger before a match struck and ignited it in hot flames. 

He moved a few steps towards me and my heartbeat hammered violently against my ribs like a sledgehammer murdering a brick. The dull pounding was overwhelming and I braced myself for whatever was to come.

“You heard me.”

I breathed out slowly, trying to still my emotions that were currently residing in different continents.

“Dontae pleas—”

“Please what?” He snapped.

I jumped as he ambled closer, his arms still tightly crossed against his chest. 

It was intimidating. 

“Please don't talk about how you shut me out? Please don't talk about how every time I tried to talk to you at home you're too busy to talk or please don't talk about the way you turn away from me whenever you see me at school like a complete stranger?”

Ok. Maybe I did deserve his anger. He did have a point.

He continued.

“Do you have any idea how you hurt me Vannessa?”

He wasn't shouting but the authority was still very present in his voice. His narrowed gaze made me squirm uncomfortably.

“I didn't mean to hurt you, Dontae. It was for the best with everything that had happened. 

I turned my head to look at the sun which was now halfway through the sky. The colourful hues were now dulling as night creeped in slowly but surely. 

“So hurting and ghosting your best friend was the best way to go?”

“Dontae, it's not like that.”

He rolled his eyes.

“It… was the best way to deal with everything back then. It was my way of coping. Please understand.”

I turned my eyes in his direction. Silently pleading for him to stop digging up old wounds.

It seemed he got the message because his features softened. And he strolled down the stairs. His hands fell lazily into the pockets of his denim pants.

“You could have talked to me, you know. You didn't have to throw me out of your life like an old broken disc.”

I studied his dark eyes. 

There was something present in them. So inconspicuous it was hard to crack the code and bring forth the emotions that played behind the beautiful impenetrable chocolate brown of his eyes.