Chapter 29: The Great Disregard

Song: Perfect

Band: Simple Plan

Enjoy!

-

***_***_***_***_***

My pen twisted in the motion of a helicopter's wings as I held it mid-air with an arm propped on the top of the desk.

After Dontae's little speech, I had hauled my body to my very first class. Which was Math. Math was my favorite subject apart from Chemistry and Physics.

Usually Math class was enjoyable since I liked to delve into a frenzy of crunching large equations and unfolding the correct answers to scenarios which practically begged me to discover their many mysteries.

But today it was a blur. I hadn't seen Sean at all. Which was a bummer. But I did get a sweet message from him wishing me a good day with a heart emoji and a silver and blue ring emoji. I blushed as I imagined him courting me until marriage.

What a dream that would be.

I wondered why he wasn't at school but I didn't ask. I was still a little hesitant about asking him certain things. Which was weird. Aren't boyfriends and girlfriends supposed to communicate openly?

Maybe we'll soon reach that stage..

It still felt unreal that Sean Charlton was my boyfriend.

Me.

Vannessa Walters who was the most unsocial person at Mckinky High School.

Maybe this was all a ginormous prank that was set up by an unscrupulous group of people who I'm sure were out to get me for no particular reason.

Maybe this was all just a dream.

I awaited a sharp pinch on my arm.

A kick.

A slap.

Anything to wake me from this dream-like stupor.

But it never came and I smiled a little at that fact because it meant that for the first time in a long time, something really good was happening to me.

Someone else was seeing me for something other than the nerd girl or the loner of the school.

The elderly teacher scribbled a list of equations in midnight black on the milky white rectangular board. I watched as her mouth jutted out in concentration.

The people in the classroom were surprisingly co-operative. Their heads were ducked as they focused on their notebooks. The pens in their hands ran swiftly over the horizontal blue lines of the ivory pages as they tried to no doubt crack the code on the white board.

But even the unusually focused classroom couldn't calm my mind and allow me to pay attention to the task ahead of me.

This morning's actions were beginning to weigh heavily on my shoulders.

I can't believe I reacted so violently.

So out of character.

This wasn't me.

No.

It couldn't be who I am...

It couldn't be who I was turning into.

Bella was a menace. But maybe it was far-fetched to react like that towards her. Surely she didn't deserve such a cruel reward even though she started this whole debacle.

She had a nasty swell on her jaw.

I know because I had glimpsed her on my way to class.

She had sent me a death glare before disappearing into the female bathroom with her two female friends who had witnessed the encounter between us.