Chapter 11: Who Knew?

Song: Who Knew

Artiste: P!nk

-

***_***_***_***

Riiiiinnnnnggggg! 

Dontae and I both jumped apart like we were somewhat hit by fire. 

Riiiiinnnnnggggg! 

I was breathing heavily, my heart galloping a hundred miles per second in my chest.

What the-

It took me a while to take notice that my phone was ringing. 

I pulled it out of my pocket and tried to calm down as my hand hovered over the screen.

One breath.

Two breaths.

Okay calm the heck down Vanessa! It's not a bomb.

I exhaled and swiped the green button upright.

"Hello?"

"Vanessa?!"

"Dad?"

He breathed a sigh of relief. 

"Oh thank God! I thought something had happened to you. I tried calling the house phone and Wilma said that you went for a walk or something like that. So I thought you hit your head or you're just going straight up crazy."

He paused. 

"Are you alright? I'm not gonna have to call the family doctor, am I?!"

I didn't notice Dontae sitting on his bed across the room. But when I did I didn't miss the smirk that he was wearing. 

What's so funny?

I rolled my eyes and chuckled a bit.

"Dad! I'm fine you don't need to worry about me. I'm just trying to be a regular teenager like you told me to."

"I just went out and took a walk because I had something to do. It's not far from the house so you can calm down now. No need to get a stroke."

Once again, he exhaled deeply. 

"Oh ok good. I feel like I just aged ten years."

I busted out laughing. 

I can always count on my dad to be very theatrical in situations like these.

I'm surprised he's not threatening to book a flight and come right back home.

I motioned towards the sofa and sat down.

"So how's everything going? Did you meet the people for the business proposal?"

There was a moment of silence. 

"Dad?" I queried. Ready to behave hysterical. 

"Hm?" He answered. 

"U good?"

"Yeah. Yeah. I'm greeeaaat."

"Did you hear what I asked you just now?"

He cleared his throat.

"Uh, yeah. You asked if i'm good."

I facepalmed.

"No. Before that."

"Oh, then no. What did you say pumpkin?"

"I said, did you get to meet with the people for the business proposal?"

"Oh, um no. I'm going to meet them tomorrow evening over dinner."

I pursed my lips. "Oh well. Uh, good luck and come home soon ok?"