Chapter 3: The Unbreakable Bond

Song: Used To Love

Artistes: Martin Garrix ft. Dean Lewis

-

***_***_***_***

After drinking some cold Coca-Cola, I carefully stuffed a piece of Bruce's expertly designed unicorn muffins into my mouth. 

Trying not to ruin Wilma's makeup, I stuffed another piece of the pastry into my mouth with forced care and patience. I sighed at the delectably sweet treat that was curing my ravenous desire for food.

I headed to the staircase and lifted my dress slightly to reveal the black platform heels. With cautious and calculated steps, I climbed the stairs. 

A click was heard. Then another. And another. Until I was at my dad's room door, panting like I just ran eight ridiculous miles.

I really need to change my diet so I can look like Wilma if I ever reach her age. Living on pure junk food just won't do anymore. Maybe I need to exercise as well. 

Placing a hand on my hip in an attempt to catch my breath, I rapped my knuckles on the door a few times.  

These heels are killing me! 

It's sad that I haven't even left the house as yet but I already feel worn out by these miniature torture objects created purely by the fascination of men. 

How do people survive in these overbearing skyscrapers for hours?

I feel like I just lost fifty five pounds.

I panted and rested both hands on my hips as I waited for dad to attend to the door. 

Normally climbing the stairs wasn't a problem for me. But today, in these heels, the staircase suddenly felt like an unforseen suicidal trap the higher I climbed and I had to grip the railing for dear life.

I'm grateful for the advice that I had received from my dad but a part of me wants to strangle him for talking me into this ‘makeover’.

I wasn't a fan of heels. In fact, I usually wear flats to any banquet, business meetings, etcetera that I have to attend. But now that I'm trying something new, I guess I'll have to suffer.

Beauty really takes pain indeed.

Slight shuffling could be heard before the door creaked open. 

Upon seeing me, my dad's eyes widened and a smile took residency on his lips.

“Oh my darling daughter.”

Without warning, I was pulled flush against my dad's warm, thick jacket as he gave me a bear hug.

“Watch the hair,” I joked, and my dad pulled me away from him to really look at me.

“You look beautiful, Vanbear. I'm glad you're finally crawling out of your shell.”

“Dad,” I whined. “Stop with the mushy talk, you're going to make me cry and ruin Wilma's hard work.”

His eyes nearly left his eye sockets. 

“Wilma fixed you up? Damn I never knew she was that talented. I mean I know she's talented but wow, this is next level work.”

I nodded, stepping away from him a few steps backwards to do a little spin.

The dress twisted and glided. The light bounced off the fabric, creating an ubiquitous shine along the walls of the hallway. The material glittered like thousands of crystals huddled together in unrestrained merriment. Teasing the human eyes as they winked repeatedly.