Chapter 18: The Road Trip

Song: Came Here For Love

Artistes: Sigala ft. Ella Eyre

The photo above is Vanessa's dad (Mr

The photo above is Vanessa's dad (Mr. Tom Walters)

-

***_***_***_***

For the last thirty minutes, I had been engaged in an internal hand to tummy combat as I tried to quiet the mini earthquake that was my stomach. It was grumbling and cursing furiously. I wrapped my arms around my noisy tummy with the hopes of stopping the horrible sounds it was exerting.

But my attempts were futile as a very loud and unwelcomed growl filled the car-which made the space feel a lot smaller than earlier.

I held my breath and counted the seconds that passed by.

All eyes turned to me instantly. Clearly processing what just escaped from the pits of my belly. Even Quincy's eyes flit to me. The car was enveloped in an awkward silence and the car swerved dangerously at the disruption, pulling a few shrieks and swear words from the group's mouths.

I thought almost being deeply injured would have deflected the attention from me, but Charles exclaiming from the back seat proved my thought process terribly wrong.

"Damn Vannessa, I never knew you were so loud!" His voice held pure incredulity and I turned to look at him with wide eyes. He was already staring, gobsmacked, at me.

He continued, completely dismissing the look of fright on my face.

"It sounds like we awoke Godzilla inside you."

Everyone guffawed after Charles spoke the ridiculing words and I shrunk into the crevices of the leather seat. The terror of embarrassment washed over me like a bucket of ice water fresh from the North Pole.

Oh how lucky am I to be sitting in a vehicle with a group of total strangers, singled out as the laughing stock.

Quincy was the loudest as he laughed from the driver's seat.

Light crimson coloured my cheeks and neck and I tried to sink deeper into the vicinity of the slippery seat, if that was even remotely possible.

Oh God.

Why did I agree to this again?

"I think it's time for us to stop for some food now since Vannessa is back there silently dying of starvation." Quincy laughed with a quick wink in my direction before turning back to focus on the road ahead.

That statement garnered another strong chorus of laughter from the group. I hawled my back further downwards into the car seat, hoping the ground would just open wide like a hungry whale and swallow me whole.

"Oh, look at her!" Allison commented boisterously. "She's blushing!"

My hands spread wide to shelter my face as if that could somehow hide me from my predicament. To say that I was humiliated was an understatement.