Chapter 22: The Pain You Give Me

Song: Bruises

Artiste: Lewis Capaldi

-

***_***_***_***

We were at a party.

I don't know what I expected today. But for some inexplicable reason, when Sean said he wanted 'to take me out on a date' I envisioned something totally different. Like I don't know, a bouquet of red roses or sweet daffodils with a picnic. Or possibly, a nice, long evening walk on the sandy beach since this was our third outing together.

I don't even know if a party can be considered as a date but of course I didn't question him. I was just glad that I was in Sean Charlton's company.

Besides, he must know what he's doing. He is the big charmer of my school after all, so he wouldn't have that title if he didn't know how to treat his lady companions, right?

The evening sunlight had now dimmed and it appeared darker outside. I'm sure it was nearing seven o' clock by now. And to be frank, a hot crowd of sweaty bodies and wild, hormonal teenagers isn't the ideal scenery that I had concocted in my head for an outing.

I internally did a celebratory dance for the outfit that I had on. If I had gone with the leggings and hoodie jacket that I had picked out initially, I would be burning up.

I hadn't told Sean about the kiss between Dontae and I. I decided that it wasn't important since there was nothing going on between Dontae and I.

It was something that happened in the moment and I would be content with acting like the kiss didn't happen if that meant protecting Sean's feelings.

The truth is, I was scared of how he would react. I didn't want him thinking that there was anything between us. And I didn't want him to doubt me.

My body weaved and winded through the large, crowded house. There were some pretty graphic scenes happening in dark corners as Sean and I made our way through the crowd. Scenes that made me blush like blood was leaking through the pores of my cheeks.

Jeez. Don't these people know the meaning of the word 'modesty'?

Thankfully, Sean was keeping a tight hold of my hand.

He stopped in a wide, open spaced living room. Greeting two boys who towered over me like Sean did. They had similar facial features and light red hair. Their eyes were a beautiful forest green colour. I soon realized that they were twins. There was also a girl who looked to be around the same age as Sean and his companions. Their names were James, Bella and Steve.

My eyes took them in wholey and I greeted them with a small smile and a nod. However, when my eyes landed on the girl, Bella, I felt like fleeing the scene.

It felt like a pot of boiling water had spilled on me and was consequently scalding my skin. I shifted uncomfortably, feeling like I was a pestering mosquito under a microscope that she just wanted to neutralize with a hot laser gun.

What's wrong with her?

I felt Sean's arm tighten around my waist. I glanced at him then followed his gaze. That's when I noticed that his friends were not so subtly staring at my attire. Regret was slowly seeping into my bones.

Maybe I should have stayed home.

I shifted nervously in Sean's arms. Maybe I shouldn't have worn a skimpy tank top and ripped jeans shorts to this party filled with almost ravenous teenage boys.

"This is the Vannessa you were talking about?" James asked, gobsmacked.

I glanced at Sean. He was gazing down at me with... pride?

"Yes," he breathed.

I gulped. Stunned by the intensity of I don't know what, glistening in his bright blue eyes.

"You're pretty," Bella stated. It sounded more of a nasty sneer than a compliment and I found myself gravitating closer to Sean.

Sean didn't seem to sense my fear and he sent me a questioning look. I glanced around, trying to siver the tension dominating the air.

"We're going to get some cold drinks," Sean patted Steve, I think, on the shoulder and led me towards the kitchen I presume.

"What do you want to drink?" Sean asked me as he held the fridge's door open. "Light beer, vodka or do you want me to go get you a cup of punch from the punch bowl?"

I thought about the options. I have always heard horror stories of people getting drunk off their feet because they drank from the punch bowl. I did not want to be the next victim caught by the Venus Flytrap. So I immediately turned down the punch.

"I'll have a beer. Thanks."

He handed me a beer and took one bottle for himself. After tasting the refreshments available on the kitchen island, we danced with the crowd for a bit to Black Eyed Peas, Justin Bieber, Rihanna, Chris Brown and DNCE's hit songs.

We were having a good time on the dance floor, dancing freely until a dreadful sensation stirred deep within my lower belly. It urged my body to make a quick escape to relieve myself of the tension.

Sean's arms were loosely wrapped around my waist and I stood on my tippy toes until my cheek was pressing against his.

"I'm going to use the bathroom," I said in his ears.

"Ok don't be gone too long, ok?" I nodded and he released my waist. Hanging onto my hand as he led me to the passage that had a surprisingly short line of girls waiting to use the bathroom.

"I'll be in the kitchen," he murmured.

I nodded and watched him disappear into the crowd of inebriated teenagers.

It took a while for the line to move up. After about three or five minutes, I finally got to release my straining bladder from its woes.

After washing my hands, I made my way to the kitchen as Sean had instructed. Upon entering the kitchen, my body lost all functionality.

Everything moved in a painfully slow motion. It felt like someone had shoved their hand inside my chest and was gripping the entirety of my heart. Squeezing painstakingly.

The gasp escaped me before I could stop it.

My eyes became foggy as the tears gathered, threatening to expel their mighty rivers down my cheeks.

I turned.

And I ran.

"Vannessa wait!" I slightly heard over the incessant pounding of my heart. But I was already moving swiftly. Trying to escape as far away as I could from the heart-rending scene.

I pushed people left, right and centre as I struggled to get to the door.

When I finally reached the door, I couldn't stop the waterworks from flooding my cheeks.

How could he?

How could Sean kiss that... that little witch?!

Luckily, upon reaching outside onto the lawn, there was a cab ready to drive off. I ran to it, picking up speed and aggressively hurling words at the bearded cab driver for him to stop. He gave me an annoyed look but stopped anyway.

I hopped into the car and told him where I was heading. I silently thanked myself for carrying my phone and my cash in my front pockets instead of leaving them in my bag-which was left in Sean's front seat. I wanted to kick myself.

In the midst of my crisis, I saw the man responsible for the pain in my heart. He was running towards me, eyes wide and panting.

But the car sped off right before he could reach me and I rested my head against the leather seat of the cab. Dejected.