Chapter 26: The Final Step

Song: Bind Your Love

Artiste: Cher Lloyd

-

***_***_***_***

The next week went by quickly and busily. I was trying to get serious about my school work again. My house lock down would soon be abolished and I slowly began realizing that my dad was right-I did need to get my act together and focus on my education like before.

I haven't fully forgiven my dad for what he had said to me the same day when I was unfortunately grounded. But so far, we have conversations here and there whenever we have breakfast and dinner together.

The conversation was slow. But it was still progress regardless.

Yes. My dad could pay a hefty amount as bribery to get me into a good school. But believe it or not, I wanted to get into a good college on my own. Without my dad's money.

My grades that were beginning to be nothing but shocking B's and C's, were now restored to a healthy state of straight A pluses with a little extra credit work and the trust from my teachers that I could redo a few exams and fix my grades.

I had fallen back into the boring routine that I had developed before I took my dad's advice to change my dull, tedious lifestyle.

Home. School. Homework. Repeat.

That fateful day seems so far away. Me nervously going down the stairs. Having a vocal competition with the vacuum Wilma was using and getting her to agree to assist me without much pressure.

I still shock myself sometimes when I get dressed and take a good look at my reflection.

Even today Wilma still gives me tips on makeup, products for self care, shoes, clothing, colour codes, how to accomplish a certain hairstyle, etcetera, when she's not busy with work that is.

Yes. I did get some of my mom's sense of fashion. But for the most part, I was leaning towards Wilma's exquisite taste. Her sharp, keen eye for fashion always manages to astound me.

She was always looking beautiful whether she was in her working attire of skirts, pants and blouses or button down shirts-which mostly consisted of plain, simple colours. But nevertheless, whenever there was a special occasion she would always look drop dead gorgeous.

It was admirable. And more so than ever, Wilma was even more fussy about me. While she used to work the majority of three times per week being the head housekeeper. She started coming in two days extra. And I have a feeling that my little stunt had something to do with that.

And just like my dad, her sharp eyes were more calculating nowadays.

Although she was still her bubbly self, she seemed to tiptoe around me now. Maybe she thought I would snap like a twig being crushed between two moving pillars at any given moment.

And maybe I would.

But I was determined not to.

I had told Dontae about my activities the following day after Wilma had caught me sneaking in. It surprised me that my dad had no problem with Dontae and I meeting.

Maybe because he knew I was helping him with school... It could also be the fact that Dontae is the son of my dad's long time friends and occasional business partners.

Dontae had replied with 'be careful next time' and 'that I shouldn't have been so careless about going out with people that I don't know that well'.

I had brushed him off with 'you don't have to worry about me that much'. I had attempted to laugh it off, but he wasn't having any of it and had scowled in anger.