Gregory's Diary

It was a crisp autumn afternoon as I was laying comfortably against the grass with my head resting on Vanessa's lap, both of us simply chilling in our backyard. At the time, I was just enjoying watching the clouds go by. It wasn't that sunny outside, so the light casted by it was not a harm to me as the clouds passed. I felt Vanessa's hand gently caress the top of my head. I heard her chuckling softly before turning my eyes to her looking back at me.

"W-What? Is there something on my face?"

Vanessa shook her head.

"No. Just... Call it something "new mothers" like to do with their kids." She teased. I started to blush before turning to my side, hoping she wouldn't notice. But it didn't seem to work as she was still laughing.

"Don't be embarrassed. I know... We started off on weird terms. But I meant what I said when I and the Glamrocks told you we wanted to be your new family. You've been through a lot, Gregory. And... I wanted to do whatever I could to ease the pain you endured." She continued, hand still rubbing my head. On the fence around our backyard, I happened to notice a sparrow sitting atop it. By its side was another sparrow and they looked quite chummy with one another. They chirped for a while before taking off at the same time. Right then, I thought again about what my life used to be and all the people that would yell at me or call me things like "thief" or "scoundrel". Those words seemed to fade away as, after the Pizzaplex, those same people started calling me "hero". So, even if I wouldn't admit it right away, I was extremely fortunate to have Vanessa take me in once we were found out to be family. Her hand came to a stop as I lightly looked back, seeing her staring up into the sky as well. I merely smiled and turned back before adjusting my head on her lap.

"T-Thanks, Vaness... I mean, mom..."

I said those words quietly, hoping she wouldn't have heard me. But, alas, I could hear her laughing still at me.

"You're welcome... Gregory." She replied softly. I just sighed.

"Don't worry. I'm sure you'll get used to calling me "mom" soon." She continued while I looked away. Just then, we heard the front doorbell ring. The two of us knew what it was. That was the sound the mailman usually gave when he made his delivery for the day. I sat upright and then turned to Vanessa, betting I could beat her to the front door. She agreed with a smirk and we simultaneously took off. Luckily for me, my smaller body meant I could move quicker and I was able to swerve past the kitchen table with ease. By the time I planted my hand on the doorknob, I looked back and saw Vanessa panting while leaning against the doorway.

"Y-You just got LUCKY.." She panted, trying to sound coy. But I simply stuck my tongue out before opening the door. I then scooped up the mail and brought it over to her, closing the door behind me. There were a bunch of envelopes this time, a lot mostly addressed to Vanessa.

"Oh... Goodie. Looks like the BILLS managed to find their way back to me." She said in an exaggerated tone. I just laughed.

"Just be glad we weren't stuck with paying for the repairs to the Pizzaplex! We probably couldn't afford to live here then."

She simple laughed back.

"Yeah... No kidding." She said while flipping through the envelopes. She came to a stop on a light purple envelope and handed it my way.

"What is it?"

"Looks like someone has some fan mail... Probably from his "not-so secret admirers"." She said. The minute I heard those words, I knew exactly who sent it. It was from Sarah and Cassidy, the princess from the Princess Quest games. But the idea that my real mom was calling them my "secret admirers" made me awkwardly uncomfortable, so much so that I snatched the letter from her and fled upstairs to my room, not trying to make eye contact.