6. 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕿𝖗𝖚𝖙𝖍.

THE TRUTH

Siya ~

" Running away?" Papa asked, raising an eyebrow as he came and sat next to me and mumma on the other side.

" Why do you think I'd want to get married at 20?" I raised an eyebrow of my own.

" What is wrong with it? Your brothers married at 22 and see how happy they are. Your sister-in-laws were about same your age when they did. Your father and I married very early." Mumma tried to give examples and I rolled my eyes.

" So you want to continue this generational trauma in the family? There should be no end to it?" I shouted at the most nonsensical statement that I had ever heard.

" He will be good for you Siya." Papa joined mumma and even though I shouldn't be surprised, I was.

" Yeah? Did the gods come and tell that to you themselves?" I threw myself off the bed and turned to face them.

" I have worked for him long enough to know what kind of man he is." He hesitated to answer a bit.

" Ranaji is 11 years older than me. Does that mean nothing to you?" I asked them again.

" Do you really think age matters? Besides, he will be like a rock base to you. You will be the Queen Siya." My mumma tried to coax me and I couldn't stop myself from laughing at her logic.

" Queen? No thank you so much. I am Siya and I am the definition of normal. As I already told Ranaji, being a Queen in nowhere near my 100 year plan. So thanks but no thanks." I spat every word as clearly as I could and decided to leave the room and hop to the terrace when papa's voice stopped me.

" I was framed in the charges when Ranaji's grandfather was assassinated twenty five years ago. I was one of the leads of the team when he was shot dead in the head." He said and I froze on the spot.

" Vineet please." Mumma tried to stop him from saying anything further but he walked to me and turned me to face him.

" I was charged with the highest offence against the State, treason. Karan was just born last month when I was thrown into jail and your mother and brothers were left on their own. Hukum, who had just lost his father was crowned the King but we were friends even before that. He didn't believe that I had killed his father. Not only did he save your mother and brothers from being lynched by the angry Public, he brought them to the Palace and put a roof on their heads before finally gathering proof and proving of my innocence in front of the Court." He said and I could see a lone tear escaping his eye. This was the first time I had seen him cry and it was breaking my heart.

What was he talking about and how had I never come to know this but most of all, how is he so strong to keep it all in to protect me?

" Don't cry my darling." He pulled me closer, hugging me and that's when I realised that my eyes had teared up.

" Your father wasn't getting a job anywhere after this whole incident. Hukum again helped him out there and employed him in his service but then we all decided to keep our families apart so that people don't talk about the favours he has done on us. He may never see those acts as a favour that he did to us but he saved our lives and our family. Now, after all these years if he has requested one thought for his son tonight, we couldn't say no because beta and I am so sorry you got entangled in this mess because of us." Mumma kept a hand on my head, wiping the tears away from her face.

" Is this why you have always kept we away from yourselves after I turned twelve? Is that why you sent me to a hostel in Jaipur?" I asked them even when I bloody well knew the answer to the question.