39. 𝓐𝖑𝖒𝖔𝖘𝖙 𝕮𝖔𝖓𝖋𝖊𝖘𝖘𝖎𝖔𝖓𝖘.

39. ALMOST CONFESSIONS.

Arjun ~

" Where have you been all day?" She asked, her eyes searching mine with a touch of suspicion, and that unexpected question sent my heart racing. There was no way I wanted to confess where I'd been, especially in this moment.

" Arjun?" She tried once again, shaking my hand, getting me to look at her.

" Work, Little Flower. Something had come up." I replied, choosing to conceal the truth with a lie.

" So your wife has just been discharged from the hospital and yet the first thing that comes to your mind is work? I am disappointed Ranaji." Her voice, although playful sent a shiver coursing through me.

I had almost lost her.

I had almost lost her because of Vani and Amar and they deserved all the treatment they were receiving at the moment. I personally ensured that. If I could beg for her life in front of god, I could also create havoc in the lives of people who tried to take my life away from me.

"Oh my God, what's gotten into you, Arjun?" She exclaimed, a look of concern crossing her face. "You're as pale as if you've seen a ghost or something! I was only teasing, relax," she reassured, taking my hand in hers and gently intertwining our fingers. With a step closer, she closed the gap between us.

" Come on. Siya, you cannot be roaming around like this when the doctors have specifically asked you to take complete rest for another week." Attempting to divert her attention, I moved closer, intending to scoop her into my arms. She took a few steps back with a playful look in her eyes, stopping me in my tracks. Her slender index finger came to rest gently on my chest, and in that moment, everything else faded into insignificance. The mere touch of her finger had such an extraordinary impact on me, one she couldn't possibly comprehend.

" You shouldn't be walking around like this without anyone with you Siya." Was all I could say when I found myself rooted right in front of her.

" Arjun, enough of this. If you keep talking about what I should and shouldn't do, I might just run far away from here." She declared, maintaining a poker face, but there was a flicker of that irresistibly cute pout playing on her lips.

As I gazed into her eyes, I felt a longing to bridge the gap between us. Here she was, right in front of me, looking at me the way she does and I couldn't even bring myself to kiss her out of the plain fear of breaking her.

This time, it was her who leaned towards me and I found myself instinctively pulling back. It wasn't a rejection, how could it be? I would rather cease to breathe than find myself capable of rejecting my wife but it was the right thing to do at the moment because if I as much as touch her, I feared that I would lose all my control with her.

A flicker of hurt passed through her face before she attempted to mask it with indifference but her voice gave it all away, if not her eyes.

" Oh, okay. So you won't even kiss me now." Her voice wavered and the second she tried to put some distance between us, I found my arms around her waist, pulling her into my chest as softly as I could.

" Let me go Ranaji."

" When have I ever, Little Flower?" I couldn't help but ask after placing feather kisses on her shoulders while she stood there, in my embrace, perhaps too exhausted to even try getting away.

" Why won't you kiss me then?" I heard her mumble against my arm which she had clutched and I couldn't fight off the smile that was breaking.

" You are hurt, Siya. You are still healing." I told her and she raised her eyes to look at me, this time, not even trying to hide her angry pout.