34. 𝕮𝖔𝖓𝖋𝖚𝖘𝖎𝖔𝖓.

34. Confusion.

Siya ~

I stood alone in our dimly lit bedroom, the fading sun casting long, eerie shadows across the room. My heart thudded with an intensity I had never felt before, every beat echoing my seething anger and the deep wound Vani's words had inflicted upon me.

I knew she said all that just to hurt me. I know it very well but how can I not get effected by her words? She was standing right there, in front of me, talking about my husband. About how he couldn't keep his hands off her.

" Why me?" I couldn't help but mutter, falling on my knees as I sat on the ground with my back pressed to the bed and I brought my knees to my chest, holding myself still.

" I promised Arjun, I promised everyone including myself that I was going to forget the past and move on, then why can't I stand by my own words? What is wrong with me?" I sobbed, grabbing a pillow into me, trying to muffle my voice.

The lingering scent of Arjun's cologne in the air, a scent that usually brings me comfort these days, was now filling me with a burning resentment towards him and Vani.

Yes, they were married at a time and of course they had a physical relationship but why was I being subjected to that reminder almost on a regular basis? Where was I at fault here and why?

With trembling fingers, I retrieved my phone and began to type a message to Arjun, struggling to put my turbulent emotions into words. "We need to talk when you get back," I typed, the message inadequate to convey the chaos that raged within me.

With a heavy sigh, I hovered my thumb over the send button, my pulse quickening with each passing second. The desire to bridge the growing chasm between Arjun and me warred with my own uncertainty and I kept glaring at the screen in front of my eyes.

I couldn't bring myself to press that button. Just couldn't and found myself erasing the text before the phone slipped from my hold because of my trembling fingers.

With a furious, primal yell, I hurled the pillow resting on my lap across the room before I collected myself from the floor and pulled myself on my feet, getting hold of the delicate vase that was holding a bouquet of lilies, the very same I found next to myself when I had woken up yesterday morning, from Ranaji for the coronation and smashed it across the floor shattering into a myriad of shards, mirroring the fragmented pieces of my wounded self as I once again, fell on my knees among the remains of the vase.

The deafening crash of the shattered vase had barely stopped to echo through the room when the door slowly creaked open and mom stepped into the chaos of my room, her eyes widening in concern as she took in the scene of broken glass and strewn belongings.

Without a word, she moved swiftly toward me, sitting on the floor just next to me as I clung to her, my tears flowing freely, as the weight of Vani's hurtful words and the anger that had consumed me poured out. She held me with a comforting strength, her soft voice a soothing melody in the midst of the emotional storm, trying to pacify me.

" I am so sorry beta, so sorry. I don't know what Vani told you but I know that your breakdown has something to do with her. You have been hurting ever since the moment she came back, even before that for different reasons and I did not do anything to protect you. In the process of trying to be a better mom to Arjun, I perhaps went on to be a bad mother-in-law to you. I allowed Vani and Amar to stay here knowing that it will do nothing other than hurt you but beta, please trust me, my intentions were never wrongly placed but enough now....." She started to apologise to me when we were interrupted.

" I apologise for the interruption Thakuraani sa but your mother has arrived." The maid said, referring to mom.

" Show her to the room and tell her that I'll come see her in a while." Mom said while tried to collect myself.