P25:Hanging between life and death

Panic, worry and nausea. Heartbroken, stressed and distraught. Petrified, frantic and oblivious. They were the only feelings hitting the hearts of Phoenix, Tokyo and Helsinki as the raced through the Bank of Spain, trying to reach the library, in which they would try and save Nairobi's life.

Screaming, bawling and sprinting was Helsinki. He saw his best friend hanging between life and death as blood seeped through her jumpsuit onto her bloody hand and it broke his heart into a million pieces. Reassuring, dashing and taking charge was Tokyo. She, best she could, tried to keep Nairobi calm and promised her that she was going to be okay and that she would get her out of the Bank of Spain alive. And livid, terrified and prepared was Phoenix. She saw the most inspirational, crazy and astonishing woman she had ever met in her entire life dying on a wooden table; but she wasn't going to let a vile sniperbullet take away her life.

"C'mon! Let's go!" Tokyo shouted, panicked, as the trio pushed Nairobi into the library.

And as rapid as a gunshot, Stockholm, Bogotá and Rio came to her aid and began to frantically get her ready for her surgery. Phoenix, Bogotá and Helsinki helped lift her to remove the top half of her jumpsuit and as they laid her back down, Tokyo began to treat her wound. Rio began to hook up the bags and Stockholm began to apply tubes to Nairobi's body.

"Pulse is 150 and going up!" Stockholm announced, tears had still stained her cheeks.

"Blood pressure, 85/40! It's dropping" Helsinki added.

Tokyo's heart began to race as she called for two units of blood and saline.

"Hey, Nairobi sweetheart. It's going to be alright, hmm? Hang in there" Phoenix told her, as she noticed the panic in Nairobi's eyes.

"Nairobi...stay strong. I'm here with you" Helsinki added, giving Nairobi a strong, reassuring look as she tried to pant for air.

"Blood's at 30 degrees. Ready for transfusion!"

The gang flipped the vulnerable girl on her right side and applied cold gel to her left side in attempt to find the bullet. As Helsinki rubbed the detector on her rib cage, he detected the bullet behind the seventh rib.

"It's in the lower part of the lung. My love, that's good news" Tokyo told Nairobi, wanting her to remain calm.

Machines started to beep and Nairobi began to wheeze and that's when Phoenix and Helsinki realised that she couldn't breathe.

"She's can't breathe. It's a pneumothorax!" Helsinki announced, terrified.

"She's choking! She's choking!" Phoenix shouted, desperate for the team's help.

"Tokyo, surgical kit six!" Helsinki told Tokyo, as the gang flipped Nairobi back onto her back.

"Her air is between the lungs and the chest wall!" Stockholm told everyone, "Hurry, Helsinki!"

"Tokyo!" Helsinki desperately called.

"I got it" Tokyo told him, coming back with the first aid kit, ready to help Nairobi.

Lining up the needle and waiting for the gang's approval, Helsinki punctured Nairobi's oesophagus and she announced that she could breathe again with a huge gasp.

"That's it" Tokyo whispered, smiling.

The machine's beeping began to once again steady as the fragile girl began to weep. Her heart was breaking and she was the most terrified she had ever been, that terrified that it caused her to call,

"You've gotta get me out of here! I'd rather be in jail, alive, than die in here. You've got to get me out. Tokyo...just give me up to the police, please"