Nightmares

James' POV

December 25, 1976

I use to wake up really early on Christmas day but I really thought that this year, after what happened last night I wouldn't have the strength to. But I was wrong. I actually woke up way earlier than usual. I woke up from a scream. A high-pitched, desperate scream near my ear. I turned around to look. It was Elaisa. We must have fallen asleep together at some point. She was having a nightmare and a very nasty one. I tried to wake her up. I was shaking her like a milkshake, literately, with no luck. By then mum and dad run in, Remus following close behind them.

"She won't wake up. I don't know what is happening" "James, calm down. Your mother will figure it out" We all looked at her. Elaisa kept screaming like a maniac into a seizure. "I don't know what is happening to her either" By then I was crying in my dad's arms ready to vomit. Yeah, I have a light stomach. Remus was sliding slowly down the wall trembling.

Sirius' POV

All I could see was pure darkness. My whole body aching like I just had my toughest quidditch match, but worse. My head was pudding, like after a hangover, but worse. Everything felt worse. Well, of course, they did! You just had the cruciatus curse you blithering idiot! I can't move any part of me. It just hurts so fucking much.

Everything was quiet and calm, like the place let me suffer in peace. And then, a scream. A scream passed threw and overtake my body, sending shivers down my spine. It forced my eyes open in complete awareness and the rush of adrenaline made me actually stand up and literately run to the scream's source.

I had heard that scream before. Years and years ago. It was coming from James' room. I rushed in banging on the door. They all turned to look at me, shock in their eyes. I didn't give much attention to it. I completely ignored it. Like they shouldn't make a fuss about someone ready to run a marathon only six hours after an unforgivable.

And there was she. Elaisa. Lying on the bed screaming in her sleep. I run beside her and took her in my arms, ignoring Mrs Potter's request to not touch her. I wrapped a hand around her small back and moved it up and down while the other played with her curly hair. They were soft.

I don't know if she did it consciously but she wrapped her tiny hands around my shoulders like her life was depending on it. I could feel her breath calming slowly down at my collarbone.

Mrs Potter looked at me proudly, Mr. Potter shocked James in awe, for some reason, and Remus in anger. He has never looked at anyone like that before. Only when he was Moony. What was the matter with him?

Suddenly her grip hardened around me as she berried her face even farther into my chest. She was awake. She was fine. She was in my arms. She was completely alright right now. She broke apart. No no no no don't leave me. I can't protect you if I don't hold you. "Thanks, Sirius. I really needed that. You are a good friend" A good friend. That rang like a melody and gunshot in my ears. I was grateful she could see me like that after what I had done. But I wanted more. I knew we were meant to be more than just friends. I could feel it in my bones. And no, I am not talking about getting in her pants. No, there is something even more powerful than that.

"Don't you find it quite amusing that he is already up after what happened? Actually, how come you are up?" Ok, something is wrong with Remus today. "You sound as if you don't want him up. And to answer your question, he is a Black. Hardly a curse can stop him from being the hero once again" She is so fucking amazing. One minute before she was struggling with something awful and now she was smirking like it never happened. How could she do that? Merlin, I love her. Not. Like. That! Like I love James. He does the same thing. Never letting anyone notice how upset they are.

"If you don't mind, what were you dreaming about sweetheart?" She forced another smile. "Oh, nothing serious. Don't even think about making the pun, Sirius" We all laughed a little at that. She was amazing. "Just ordinary stuff teenagers are dreaming about" Liar. Mrs Potter knew that too but she let it pass. She just nodded it off. "Try to rest some more. You can stay with James if you like". My heart sank. Why would James have her?

"Mum, I think it would be best if she stayed with Sirius. In case, you know, she is having another nightmare" Cross fingers for that. Not having another nightmare in the name of Merlin I could never hope that. For sleeping with me though... Well, that's another story.

"I highly doubt she is going to have another episode in one night. But whatever makes you feel safer, Elaisa" She locked eyes with James and rolled her eyes at his grin. "I'll go with Sirius" Remus looked ready to murder.

"What?! He is warm like a big black dog. You can't beat him at that wolfie" My face paled. She knows about me being an animagus with a dog form and Remus being a werewolf. How many other marauders' secrets does she know? She stand up and took out a hand for me to take. "Come on, Siri-poo. Let's go to bed. We have a party to attend today" I took her hand and she pulled me up from my knees. Damn, she is strong. Fuck, the party. I completely forgot about it. My parents decided that they would indeed show up. I am not ready to face them. None of them. Not even Reggie. He looked so puzzled as he was sending me away as he didn't hate me.

My thoughts were interrupted by Elaisa'a hot breath against my chest. Her hands were holding my shirt as if her life depended on that. I wrapped my arms around her body pulling her closer to me. In a protective way! She seemed to relax completely after a while and I rested my chin on the top of her head.