Goodbye

"I am not coming back. I am not gonna leave him behind"

"Cece... Arty will be fine. My mum and dad will take good care of him"

Cecelia sighs and passes her hand through her hair in anguish "It is not that I don't trust your parents, James. I... I can't leave him. I just can't. Mia and Fleamont are two very good people, but..."

"It's okay, love. Deep breathes" Sirius hugs Cecelia's shoulders.

Remus and Elaisa watch the scene unfold in silence. They interlace their fingers.

At that moment, Mrs and Mr Potter walk in and dead silence chokes the room like a heavy fog. Fleamont's arm slithers on Mia's shoulders

"Cece is right. Cece is right. We would take good care of Arty. He is like a grandson to us" Mia turns to lock eyes on her husband and they both smile. Sirius' eyes water at their words. The rest, smile grateful for their love. Their acceptance.

"But in Hogwarts, you would all be safer. As long as Dumbledore lives, there is no safer place in Britain than the School" Fleamont states.

He is right. If they want to keep Voldermorts filthy, pointy long nails from their precious little sweet newborn, only the Headmaster could help them. Only he can provide them with the required safety.

A loud bang is heard and then the cry of a baby. Everyone's heads turn to face where the noise came from. The up floor. Death Eaters is their first thought. They rush upstairs, wand in hand. Cecelia's hand is shaking in distress. Sirius puts on his Black-face and so does Elaisa. No mistakes can be made. Arty is loved. Elaisa is not gonna let anything happen to her nephew. She is prepared to kill. She has killed before. And when the time comes to kill again to protect her family, she is gonna do it without hesitation. The others are too noble to fire a deadly spell. She is gonna be the one who has to do it. And she is not planning on letting them down.

Arty had been put in Sirius' room, where Cecelia slept too – there was no reason to give Cecelia a separate room. With so much love between each other and towards their little boy, they would end up sharing the bed anyway. Sirius was the first one at the door Followed close behind by James. Elaisa is not gonna step on the front. She is gonna let those two weaken the threat and then the invader would be an easy kill for her.

James and Sirius with the signal of a nod, raise their knees to their chest, leaning back a bit and by stretching their foot out together, they kick the door open. They take one glimpse of what is going on inside Sirius' room and they freeze on the spot. That was something they didn't expect. What could he possibly do here? This house is out of limits for him, for his own safety. What if his parents find out? What if the Dark Lord figures out? What if any other Death Eater spots him around?

James' heart falls to his stomach. He wasn't prepared for this. He had called it off. He thought that he wouldn't see him again till off to Hogwarts. This isn't happening. This can't be happening. Karma is a bitch!

Elaisa is the first to react to his presence and close enough to actually do something about it. She walks past the two young men and into the room. Her steps are sure and determined. Aggressive. Cece's mind starts working again at the tracking of the sound a palm makes when it collides forcefully with the skin of a cheek. Someone groans.

"Aouch! Liza! What was that about?!"

"How can you be so stupid? You are not supposed to be seen anywhere near us and you appear in our goddamn house"

"Whose house?" the visitor points out.

Elaisa raises her hand to slap him again. A furious look in her eyes. He flinches and raises his hands in the air in surrender "Okay, okay, okay. Sorry"

Elaisa gets pushed aside by Sirius. Sirius hugs him tightly.

"I missed you, brother"

Regulus smiles and nuzzles his nose against Sirius' neck. He breathes in savouring his brother's scent. Oh, how much he had missed Sirius' presence. Then, he turns back to Elaisa. "See? Why can't you welcome me like him? It isn't so hard, is it?"

Elaisa rolls her eyes. How stupid could her brother be?

"Elaisa, don't give your brother a hard time. You are always welcome here, dear"

"Thank you, Ms P" Regulus says with a soft smile.

Cecelia walks in too and takes Arty in her hands, everyone had forgotten he had been crying thanks to the shock of Regulus' arrival. She is smoothing her baby angel in her arms. Regulus turns and looks at her smiling lovingly.

"You are gonna be an amazing mother, Cecelia"

"Thank you, Regulus. I am trying my best. At least till he gets taken from me" Her voice breaks at the end.

"Don't talk like that, love. We will get through this"

"Yes. Negative energy is not gonna do us any good now, girl"

"I am gonna hinder it as much as possible"

Six pairs of eyes turn to look at him. "What are you talking about? How are you gonna delay this?" Cece asks in confusion, expressing everyone's wondering.

"Well... um... you see..." Regulus is afraid to speak up. It doesn't take long for Elaisa to realise what her brother is trying to say. How she didn't think of that before? It is so obvious. Classic Voldermort tactic. She covers her mouth with her hands to not scream in horror.

"What? What is it?"

"Reggie...?" Sirius isn't sure he wants to know anymore. Whenever his brother was afraid of sharing something... it was something bad and he sure as hell doesn't need any more bad news right now.

"The Dark Lord-" Reg begins

"Don't call him that" Cecelia interrupts him "By calling him 'The Dark Lord' you accept his power on you as your Lord"

Regulus nods "Voldermort... has chosen Snape and I... to hand to him Arty"

Their jaws drop. They can not deal with this. Not now. Not ever.

"Out! Out of my house, you little snake!"

"Sirius, calm down"

"No, I won't calm down, Remus. I want that snake out of here!"

Regulus' heart breaks into a bazillion pieces. He bets that if it wasn't humanly impossible, he would turn into atoms in a spot. Deep breaths, Regulus. Deep breathes. Remember what you have taught yourself. Keep it together. His hands start to shake a bit. It isn't working. Of course, it isn't working! He is used to keeping his pieces together against his parents, or Voldermort, more or less, and fellow Slytherins. Not his brother. Sirius had been harsh on him before. But never, ever, that harsh.

"How dare you believe that I would ever do anything to harm your son?! I am risking my own life by being near you and you dare accuse me of something as assaulting as that?! I might be a dick at times but I am still human!"

"What can I say? Sometimes it is hard to believe that"

"Sirius, calm down!"

"Siri, come on. Drop it"

"If I am not human, then what is Lupin?!"

Silence. Dead silence. That was too much. Regulus know that. It shows on his face. He already regrets his words. Not only his words. His decision to show up at the Potters. His entire existance.

"Imma outta here" he says and he disappears into thin air. It's okay. It's okay. I might have messed up everyone's life but... I am still planning on destroying the Dark Lord. I am gonna be fine. I hope that... at some point I am gonna come to terms with myself again. Merlin, how much do I hate myself right now? Why can't I think before talking? How come and I can keep my mouth shut in front of everyone else but when it comes to Sirius, my mind shuts down and I ruin everything?

So be it. Everything has to go according to plan. I stick to the plan. What is the worst that could happen? Dying while everyone hates me. No big deal. Nothing new. Let the hunting begin.