The Attack

They stayed there like this. Just the two of them under the warm sun. Hugging. Caring. Loving. Things Regulus was unfamiliar with but then again, James' embrace felt so right. So safe. So...family. Not his own family. Not like Walburga, Orion and his cousins. No. It felt like how the family was supposed to feel.  Like Home

James could feel it too. Yes, he had a lovely family and a hell of a lot of friends but Regulus was something else. something different. Something more. He made him feel complete and just perfect enough for the world. 

But like everything good-or bad- in life, that feeling of fullness suddenly disappeared. What had cut off the connection, they weren't sure. They looked around, wands in their hands. 

Then, a thud

And another

And one more a few feet away. 

Hogsmead was filled with screams. James and Regulus run in the main street. 

Death Eaters

Death Eaters everywhere laughing hysterically and throwing spells right and left. They didn't care who they hit unless it was one of their own.

Shit!

This can't be happening.

Not now

Not today

I am not ready for this

He shoved James into a near alley.

"James, listen to me. I need you to get out of here. Go back to Hogwarts. I'll find the others and send them your way"

"I am not leaving you here alone"

"They can kill you!"

"They can kill you too!"

Reg looked down breathing heavily

James' eyes widened

"You said you weren't one of them anymore!"

"James-"

"You said you are not on their side anymore"

"I am not-"

"You said you would stop attending their meetings"

"Technically-"

"Don't 'technically' me! You made a promise to your brother! You made a promise to me!"

"I KNOW!"

...

"I know... But I wasn't going to let Elaisa on her own with them"

"E-Elaisa attends...them...too?" he blinks

"Yes, because she has a mind and a very better view of how the world is working than anyone"

"Oh yeah? And how is that?!"

"You are born Black you die Black or your loved ones die 'cause of you. And, I don't know about you but I definitely don't want to see my brother, my sister, or you die because of me and my stupid hope"

A few tears are running down Regulus' face and James' face softens. He understands

Thank God

He understands Regulus' need to protect the only ones who have ever loved him. He nodded and kissed Regulus. A kiss that was full of meanings such as 'Don't you dare die' and 'Come back to me'. After that James started running towards Hogwarts with a tight in his chest. He never thought that he would flee at the sight of the Death Eaters. Of course, he did it because of Regulus. God, he would jump off a cliff if he were asked to. (Not very healthy that though, huh?) Or, that is what he will tell himself to help him sleep at night because the awful truth was that, he was glad he had an excuse to leave the village. He was terrified. He doesn't know how Elaisa and Regulus managed to ~live~ and survive with them all these years. They must be very brave or very broken. Knowing them, probably both.