[Ch. 24] Home Problems

In all out ducky pajamas, you waited impatiently for your brother's return from his late night shift.

Your arms were crossed in a disgruntled manner as you sat at the table, one leg over the other as your [F/C] (favorite color) slipper tapped vigorously at the tile floor. You had put Maya and Chris to sleep approximitely six hours and thirty-two minutes ago. It was now 1:32 am in the morning and you couldn't just wait to give your older brother a mouthful.

Like, what was with the sudden trip and secret girlfriend? Why hadn't he told you? Even though he's a grown ass adult, you would've like a heads up about someone far away that has the risk of being a potential member of this family. But then again, he's an adult, he shouldn't have to tell you anything and yet you obligate him to.

Your siblings for heavens sake.

You might not be as old as him, but you are mature enough to have adult conversations.

You hear the sound of a door open then shut, keys dangling then a quick shuffle down the hall towards the kitchen.

This was it.

Yours eyes widened once he came into view and you immediately jumped out of your chair to help him. "Shit! Jackson, what happened?!" You threw his arm over your shoulder, helping him to the table. His clothes were scuffed up and he had a deep cut wound on his cheek dripping down onto his shirt.

"Y/n... You're still awake?" He mumbled out tiredly. You scoffed, pulling out a chair for him and sat him down.

"Yeah, obviously! Now spill it!" You urged, eyes glowing a misty soft grey. "Who the hell did this to you?" The bleeding wound he had closed in on itself due to the needle like thread of air you had, completely healing the injury as if it were never there. 

"Not sure really, it was kind of like a blur. I gave the guy the cash I had in my wallet like he requested, he had a chefs knife apparently. I'm just glad he didn't take my car or stab me then take my car," he sighed, rubbing the back of his neck.  

"You're not hurt anywhere else are you?" You asked.

"No, I don't think so."

"Look... I know you were just attacked possibly an hour or so ago, but we still need to talk about the timelines," you inferred, bringing up the matter in an iffy tone. "I really need to talk about this with you, and I—"

"I already told you I'm not willing to partake in your childish activities, Y/n," Jackson exasperated, pinching the bridge of his nose with a deep sigh as he closed his eyes for a brief moment. 

"It's not some childish activity, Jackson. This timeline problem could literally determine our younger siblings future as well as mine, yours, and everyone elses. It's. Not. A. Game!" You griped.

"Look. I understand your concern, but sometimes it's better to let things be the way they are. Okay?"

"You don't have to be apart of the investigation but the least you could do is give me a bit more information about timelines so I can possibly predetermine the problem at hand!" You retorted. 

Jackson got up from his seat with a grunt. "You know well enough. Now, if you excuse me, I'm going to take a nice hot shower and go to bed. You should do the same. Goodnight." He turned his heel and you shot up after him.

"You just can't keep walking away from this! It's going to bite you back in your ass one way or another!" You growled, grabbing his arm on the way.

"Keep your voice down. You don't want to wake Maya and Chris do you?" He implied, tone calm as a river like always. 

You fume with undeniable anger and confusion but die down your hotheaded rage, still maintaining your frown. You force yourself to let go of his arm, looking to the wall on your left from his neon blue eyes. "No," you grumbled out softly.

"Just get some sleep alright? I'm sure you'll feel much better in the morning," he smiled.

"Are you still going even after what happened to you not too along?" You asked suddenly. "On that vacation with your online girlfriend?"

"It'd be a waste of money if I didn't," he replied, giving you a small noogie. "A cab's going to pick me up early this morning. And since I won't be here for a couple of weeks, you can drive my car to take Maya and Chris to and from their destinations as well as your own."

Well, that's a bonus I guess, but besides the point, you thought.

You scoffed, smacking his hand away. "Whatever, like I care. We'll be just fine without you."  

You stuffed your hands in your pajama pockets and walked up the stairs with a slight slouch as usual. You closed your bedroom door behind you quietly, keeping knowledge you had younger siblings sleeping, and jumped face forward into bed with your limbs sprawled out. 

You let out a long deep groan in your pillow till you were out of breath and turn your head to the left. The moonlight seeped through your curtains onto your bed and you turn away from it with a huff.

This was going to be a long morning.

~ Time Skip ~ Brought to you by back popping at its finest ~ ↖(^ω^)↗ ~

Jackson was gone by early morning before you and your younger siblings managed to wake up, leaving you with a feel of bittersweetness. 

You got up at an earlier time to wake Maya and Chris, get breakfast ready, and make their lunches, well enough adjusting to your new routine. You made them french toast and had some yourself though you weren't all that hunger from last nights conversation. 

However, being younger children, your siblings were quick to catch on Jackson's absence and asked where he was. You explained that their older brother had to go on a business trip last minute so he wasn't coming back for three weeks. You didn't give specific details because you claimed you didn't really know yourself, but luckily they bought it. 

Though you felt bad for lying to them, you knew they didn't need to be pulled into a world of chaos, drama, and conflict. That was for you on your own to deal with. 

After driving Maya and Chris to school, you waved them goodbye and headed on your way to school. 

For some dreadful reason, you couldn't help but feel this day was going to be longer than it should be.