Volant Rogue

Samantha's POV

     My stomach rumbles and gurgles, verbally telling me that it needs substance, and now. Silently, I weigh my options on whether the risk is worth the reward. I know that I shouldn't be here, but the hunger is almost painful, so I throw on my baseball cap and use my visor mirror to make sure that all my hair is up and out of sight. Taking a quick glance down at my hoodie and loose fit jeans, I make sure that none of my feminine curves are visible.

     My stomach growls, again, as I place my order with the waitress. Steak, medium rare, a side salad macaroni and cheese and mashed potatoes. The waitress gave me a funny look wondering if I was going to be able to eat all of it. I just gave her a polite smile before she walked away. While waiting, I go to the bathroom to freshen up.

     It has been two days since I have been in human form and had a cooked meal. My last trip led me into an encounter with a pack. While the camping grounds were not on pack land, my reputation preceded me, which led to their attack.

     Normally, I would have been able to run them, but I injured my front paw when they jumped me. That led me to having to run from them for the last two days before I could go back and get my car. It also meant that I had to leave all my camping gear behind. My body burned a lot of energy trying to heal my wound, not to mention the change itself takes a lot out of a person. That meant that I had to recharge, and quickly before the local pack got a whiff of me.

     The icy cold water made my skin prickle, but at the same time felt amazing as it washed away all the loose grime. My lavender eyes stare back at me as I gaze into the mirror. Tucking in a strand of my jet black hair back into my cap, so no one will see my locks, I look and stare closer at my features.

     One look, and I could be mistaken as a scrawny teenage boy. My baggy clothes hid all of my curves, which is what I was aiming for. True, thinking that I'm a male rogue could lead to my death, but finding out that I'm a female.. Well that would lead to torture. Please with the way I look, I head back out to my table.

     The waitress was just dropping off my order as I sat down. "Thank you," I say to the waitress in a raspy voice and manage a sweet smile before I start to dig into my meal. My first bite sends an explosion of flavors and juice that coat my tongue. A small moan leaves my throat as I chew on my first bite and continue digging in. Nothing else seems to matter as I encourage myself on the meal before me.

     There are only a few bites left on my plate when a hand clamps down on my shoulder. Sh*t , I think as I drop my silverware to my plate and chew on my last bite. Mentally, I kick myself for getting comfortable and letting my guard down.

     Looking up, I take in the man that's hovering over me. His black hair is in need of a trim as it falls wildly over his forehead and curls slightly at the end. His bright blue eyes show disgust as he looks down on me. "You shouldn't be here, rogue. We will escort you to our Alpha," he says. Unable to speak, I throw a twenty on the table and walk towards the door. The man follows behind me with my arm still in his grasp. Two other men follow closely behind us as we head towards the door.

     As soon as I'm past the doorway, I look over to my car and see a man standing there leaning up against the driver side door. Knowing that a quick escape is not an option, I make my move. The man releases a grunt as my elbow finds its mark into his abdomen. His shock causes him to let me go, and I start to run towards the wooded area behind the diner. Once I am out of view of the diner, I let the change take over. Bones snap and my skin soon turns to fur as I take off. Thanks to my recent meal, my body is fully healed, so I put on the speed, knowing that they won't be able to keep up. I'm 'The Volant Rogue', after all.

     Sounds of the men changing into their will forms as well echo behind me. A quick glance back lets me know that all four of them have taken chase. My wolf lets out a chuff of laughter and speeds forward. She has always enjoyed the thrill of the run. It's not long before we lose the men following me.

     We continue running for about another mile before I decide to head back. Carefully, I approach the diner and make sure that all is clear before I go to my car. The sight before me brings a tear to my eye as I look at the remains of my ransacked vehicle.

     The windshield is shattered as well as all my windows. "Rogue" is scratched into the hood and all four tires are slashed. Shaking my head to keep from crying about my baby being destroyed, I remind myself that it's just a car and that I'm glad that I remembered to put the title under a false name.

     Knowing that the pack might be back soon, I jump into the car and use my muzzle to grab my emergency bag hidden underneath the seat. Backpack and teeth, I take one last glance before heading the direction of home.

I started this story almost a decade ago but couldn't figure out how I wanted Samantha's story to end, so here it is. Please vote and comment.

Enjoy.