Stupid Choices

Samantha's POV

     Run. Run. Run!

     That was the only thought going through my mind. Paws hitting the earth was the only sound that reached my ears. No one was coming after me. My wolf wanted to gain control again. She was so freaked as she fought for dominance.

     Without knowing who was more scared, my wolf or me, I let her take us running away from the posed threat... from my memories. She kept us at a constant pace, not allowing roots or rocks to slow us down. With me in the backseat, I was left with my thoughts.

     She didn't stop until we reached a river. My wolf seemed content with the distance she ran and started to loosen her grip on our body. Gaining control again, I flopped down on the river's edge and leaned my head toward the flowing water to take a few laps with my tongue. Once my thirst was satisfied, I plopped my head on my paws.

     I remembered this river from one of the times the guys had tried to capture me. That was about five months ago when they only knew me as the Volant Rogue. I knew how to get back to my old house from here, but that wasn't where I wanted to be. My thoughts shifted toward the wolf I left behind.

     What was I thinking? That was Gabe, not Michael. He wouldn't hurt us...none of the guys would. They aren't what I originally expected. I didn't need to fear them.

     I scolded my wolf for putting us in that position. She was the one that presented us to him. I had feelings for Gabe, but I wasn't ready to be intimate with him. With anyone for that matter. The way I reacted was proof enough. 

     My heart ached with the thought of never being able to be comfortable enough with anyone. Then thoughts of the guys not wanting me anyways flooded my head. What if they realize that I'm damaged goods. What if they really only want me around to be a broodmare? What if they get frustrated enough that they just start taking what they want? 

     No! The Red Moon pack warriors were honorable men. All they've done is care for my well being. They've been nothing but accepting towards my pup and I. None of them have pushed themselves on me and I'm just letting my fears take control. Chris was a perfect example of the caliber of these men. In a short time, the men have become the family that I've always wanted. My wolf purred in my mind with where my thoughts had shifted. These men have become my pack. Pride is a tough pill to swallow, but I was d*mn well ready to try to gulp it down.

     I need to explain things to Gabe when I get back. My only hope was that he and the other men would listen. I want them.... all of them. Wait!.. all? Could I really be able to be with eight men?

     Maybe not intimately, but I wanted to keep all of them with me. They were my home.... and I needed them to know that I wasn't going anywhere. Time passed as my thoughts ran their own marathon in my head. My only companion was the pain that radiated from my leg. 

     Should've thought this through a little better.

     I sniffed around and found my own scent trail that led from the lake we were at. Once my leg got better, I was definitely going to have to familiarize myself with their territory. In the mean time, this was going to be a hard walk home.

     It was a bit of a struggle getting up without putting a lot of weight on my bad leg. But try as I might, not using it didn't stop my leg from throbbing with every step I took as I followed my own scent back. There was no way I could run anymore with this pain, so my trek was slow going as I used my other three limbs for my weight.

     Wish we had the pack link to use. My wolf snorted at my thought. I could feel her disappointment at my actions through our bond.

     A twig snapped to my left and echoed all around. My body tensed and I instantly moved into an attack stance and growled. Please be one of the guys or a small animal that I can scare away.

     The growl that followed sent shivers down my spine. It was deep and threatening. I struggled with the panic that was wanting to take over. So much for it being a small animal. Stupid Sam!

     The growl continued as someone stepped out from behind a bush. His wolf was much larger than mine. My head would barely reach his jawline and his midnight black fur was bristled as he approached me.

     Michael

     There was no helping the whimper I released as I slowly backed away from his approach. three steps... I had made it only three steps before I was hit with another foul stench. More growls followed as I realized that Michael wasn't alone.

     A/N for those of you that have bothered to keep up with the count, I know that there are actually nine men in Sam's life that she is close to. The "eight" she is referring to in this chapter are, Gabriel, Edward, Marcus, Steven, Kyle, Keith, Cain, and Daniel. 

Sam hasn't thought of Chris as anything more than a big brother/best friend since she first met him. Not to say that that won't change... Who knows!

Please vote and comment.