Explanations

Samantha's POV

     "What did he mean?" Kyle questioned.

     Knowing what he was referring to, I decided to divert toward teasing. "I'm pretty sure that that was a human threatening a pack of wolves." Trying to both diffuse the tension, as well as make them aware that my uncle was not one of us.

     "So... he's human, but he knows about us?" Edward asks.

     "He grew up with my dad and took over as my family when I had none left... Uncle Edwin is a veterinarian, but knows the basics of healing since his dad was the pack Doctor when the other pack tried to take my mo... Edwin escaped with me that night. Since no one knew of his connection to the pack, he was able to hide me in plain sight... He developed the scent blocker I use and we've been avoiding any packs and rogues since." After speaking, I flop down on the couch.

     "What about Chris?" Cain said with a quirked eyebrow.

     "Ha ha. Yeah... Chris... Five years ago, he moved in next door. Scared me to death to have him so close. I almost moved, but Chris is... Chris." My last comment was aimed at Cain.

     Cain chuckled. "Yeah, that sounds just like him."

     Just then, the front door opens and Chris walks in. "Where is she!?!" He yells while scanning the room. Once he sees me, he rushes over to me. Next thing I knew, he had me standing up and pinned in his arms. I must've whimpered in pain because Steven shot up and grabbed the back of Chris's neck. "You're hurting her! Put her down. She is still healing." Steven says.

     Chris loosens his hold on me, then sits down on the couch pulling me into his lap before speaking, "You had me worried. What happened? I thought I lost you. Why didn't you tell me? I thought we were best friends. You smell amazing! I'm never letting you out..."

     I covered his mouth with my hand to stop his rambling. " I missed you too... I'm okay now." I simply say, hoping it was enough to calm his wolf.

     "She was apparently taught lies about us and couldn't tell you in fear for her own safety." Cain says. He is now standing and leaning over the back of the couch to rest a hand on Chris's shoulder. Chris sits me up on his lap so we can look at each other. He places his palm on my belly. "Are you?" His tone has a hint of awe to it and my eyes fill with tears as I slowly nod.

     Cain must've told him I was pregnant. He pulls me into his chest and kisses my forehead. "Don't worry Sammie, we'll treasure you both," he whispers in my ear. I cuddle into Chris a little more, taking in his spicy familiar scent of cloves.

     Why do I feel so clingy to all these men? Chris chuckles. S**t! That must've been out loud.

     "Would you believe that you are attracted to our strong masculine magnetism?" Chris smirks while talking. I smack his thigh causing Chris to laugh and pull me closer. "In a way, he's not lying." Edward says and sits on the floor next to me.

     "You're so full of s**t, Edward." I quip. "It's easy to forget that you weren't brought up knowing these things already, Sam." Marcus says. He joins Edward on the floor before speaking again. "On average, there is only one shewolf born to every 8 male wolves. What that means is that most packs are matriarchal."

     "Meaning?" I question. "Meaning that shewolves are supposed to be cherished. Yes, the Alpha is the leader, but he and his pack will do everything for their Luna. Most packs are fairly small and usually only have one female. When a female is of age, she must start attending gatherings until she finds her mate or chosen mates," Gabriel says.

     "Our pack is an exception with Julie..... And now you," says Steven. The hair on the back of my neck bristles as a sign of my jealousy. "Who's Julie?" I ask, a bit too quickly. Edward smirks before speaking. "Julie is our sister... She has been deemed excused to attend gatherings. You see, she is..."

     "No one's business!" Gabriel shouts, then storms out. Edward sighs and grasps my hand. "Forgive Gabe. He feels partially responsible for Julie's condition." I try to not let Gabriel's outburst affect me while something else he had said comes forward. "What did Gabriel mean by chosen mates?"

     Chris places a finger under my chin which causes me to look at him. "Every shewolf is given a mate chosen by the moon goddess. He is said to be your other half. As a shewolf, you get to choose to be with your mate and/or others that you feel you share a connection with. In most cases, the shewolf ends up picking the members of the pack which are usually her other men she chooses to be... Intimate with," he says.

     What! I'm expected to be shared! My worry must've been visible as Marcus was quick to reassure me. " You decide who you want to be with, but you will need at least eight men to protect you," he says.

     "How many men do they expect me to be with?" I question. "Most shewolves pick about three, but the most I've seen a shewolf pick was five. Her wolf was strong and it took all five men to balance her," Steven says.

     "Ha! Did you forget that we have the great Volant Rogue in our midst? I reckon it will take a whole army to keep her in check!" Kyle laughs out. As mature as I am, I stick my tongue out at him. "Don't give me any ideas, sugar." Lust is evident in his eyes as he talks.

     I knew that I had a strong connection to Gabriel, so does that mean that he is my mate? Now that I'm in a pack, will I be expected to go to these gatherings? The thought worried me, so I voiced it.

     "Gabriel is your mate, but you get to choose if you want to be with anyone else as well." Edward says with what I think was hope in his eyes. "Until you claim your chosen men, you will need to attend the gatherings. Although... I'm sure that given your current condition, the wolf council will give you some time before they expect you to go." Chris adds.

     "Has anyone ever rejected their mate?" I say. Not sure why though. Steven's eyes turn to rage and he storms out in the same direction as Gabriel.

     Marcus let out a sigh as he stared at the door. "The moon goddess blessed some of us with a mate... Our other half, but some shewolves feel... I don't know exactly what they feel, but they go against the moon goddess' wish. We are raised to cherish our women, but sometimes that just leads to our women being spoiled brats... Don't deny yourself and Gabriel that blessing," he says.

     Marcus gets up and gently squeezes my shoulder before walking out as well. The gesture alone tells me that he didn't mean me when he called some shewolves 'spoiled brats'. My view is blocked as Keith holds out a controller to me. I give him a soft smile before taking it.

     At some point, the men return. Everyone scoots around to give all three of them a close spot near me as we spend the rest of the afternoon playing video games.

Please vote and comment.