Aspens and rain

Samantha's POV

     Tom Baker, the local sheriff, is already there when I get to the Jackson's ranch. " Hi Tom," I say as I close my truck door with my camera in hand. The poor metal creaks and moans from the movement. " Sam." Tom nods and I walk over toward him and Mr. Jackson. I've been to the local abattoir before, but you never get used to the smell. Mr. Jackson doesn't own a slaughterhouse. He's the one that provides the cattle, though.

     My camera clicks as I snap picture after picture of the dead animals and any tracks around them. The size of the prints tells me that not only was it a wolf that did this, but a shifter. We are larger than normal wolves, but most packs wouldn't attack like this.

     This was done by a rogue. Most likely one that has already lost his mind. We are pack animals by nature. Too much time by ourselves can cause our wolf side to go crazy. I wasn't always a rogue. I lost my pack when I was young, but between uncle Edwin and now Chris, my wolf has done okay on our own. If you don't count the occasional need to go camping for days at a time, that is.

     I was finishing up my pictures when Mr. Jackson starts to ramble. "Didn't see them, cows were dead when I woke up. That's a lot of money I lost. Bessy's in the barn. Don't think she'll make it through the night. A shame we can't save the calf at least. That's where I make all my money."

     "I'll see what I can do. Lead the way to Bessy," I say as I finish taking my pictures. I reach through the window of the truck and grab my medical bag without opening the door. Mr. Jackson takes us toward the barn.

     We walk into the barn and I stare at what's left of poor Bessy. Her flank is torn to shreds. She's already lost too much blood and is fading fast, but I think I can save the calf. That wolf did a number on her. Moments after I free the baby, Bessy takes her last breath. While assessing the calf, my mind wanders to the possible outcome of the town knowing that one wolf did this. I can't have the town hunting down wolves. Chris and I wouldn't be safe, so I decide what needs to be done.

     "Tom..... it looks like a coyote attack judging by the marks from the paw prints, I'm guessing at least 6 of them did this." I say as I load my gear into my truck. "Okay Sam, sounds like the boys and I are hunting tomorrow. Send my copies of your pics and email me your final report." Tom tells me as he opens my truck door for me. Guilt hits me at the thought of the poor coyotes that might cross their paths. Though, thanks to our wolves, most have already left the area in fear. We were the larger predator.

     "Will do." I say and give him a short head bob, before closing my truck door. I sit for a minute in my truck and quickly apply another coat of my lotion since the hot June day made me sweat it off. I hate lying to Tom, but if I tell him it was wolves, then that'll endanger more than just me.

     With a twist of the key, old Billy jumps to life. Looking at the clock on my radio, I see that it is only six. I know that if I go to Chris's now, I'll be early, but I want to give him a heads up that I want to take a shower before we eat. Blood was crusted to my clothes and I didn't need to look like I was in fact at a slaughterhouse. There's a black Lincoln Navigator in Chris's driveway when I get there. I hesitate getting out for a moment. Chris knew where I was going, but one look at me might make his current guests freak.

     When I get out, the most amazing scent hits my nose and stops me in my tracks. It smells like aspens and rain. Two men stood on Chris's porch as their eyes bore holes into me. Chris must've already been walking toward my truck, cause he quickly wraps an arm around me and introduces me to the men. "Sam, this is Gabriel Hemming and my brother Cain," Chris says as he gently pushes me forward. He had pointed his other hand at the men as he introduced them so I knew who was who.

     Both men walk up to us with smiles plastered on. Tightness in their shoulders tells me that they might not be as happy as they seem. Gabriel holds his hand out toward me but I refuse to touch him. He's gorgeous with black hair that almost touches his ears and bright blue eyes. The closer he gets, I realize that the amazing smell is coming from him.

     Power radiates from Gabriel and my wolf preens at his attention. My nipples harden and I find myself folding my arms across my chest to keep it from being obvious. Gabriel's smile fades as he slowly puts his hand down. " Sam doesn't like to be touched," Chris says with his arm still around me. Chris gently squeezes my shoulder before looking at me and saying, "They will be joining us for dinner tonight." Pack wolves my mind screams.

     "Um .....Chris, I need to go home and clean up first." I squeak out while pointing toward my blood covered clothes. He must have called them after I left. We weren't on pack land, but close enough that it would warrant some investigating. " Okay chica, but I'll be by in 30 minutes to walk you back over here," Chris says. I give him a short nod and peel away from his touch. The weight of their gazes hit me as I walked away. It takes everything in me to not run inside.

Please vote and comment.