two | the ride

I stare at him, wide eyes as the cheers of the crowd blast against my ear drums, the bangs and thumps of the fireworks echo all around us as the sky lights up in different vibrant colours. I am stunned at his choice of words, that I cannot even formulate something to spit back at him. He shrugs again as he turns his back towards me and heads to his group, leaving me there, silently crying. Ironically, every single soul surrounding me is in the moment, holding each other and celebrating another year dedicated to more adventures with each other, as I stand there alone in fear, worry, heartache.

I cannot even believe him for a second. He can't even take me home? He expects me to walk? How heartless can he really be? I gave him all of me and he can't even give me a ride home?

I stare down at the money on the ground. My stubbornness won't even allow me to pick it up. My body is literally shaking, and with the biggest gulp I take in my life, I slowly turn around and walk away from him, them, everyone. My eyes watch my feet take many steps towards the front gate of this frat house. My bottom lip is gripped by my teeth and my arms embrace my upper body tightly; I'm giving myself the last bit of comfort as I attempt to prepare myself for the journey ahead. I can't stay here and hope he will change his mind, and it's quite obvious no one here even cares enough to stop and provide me transport.

Why would they? I'm not their responsibility. So because of that, I won't even ask anyone to order me an Uber home out of pity. I'll be the one to suffer.

I wipe my cheeks and sniff, walking out the gate, past different mini groups of couples swallowing each other's tongue or drinking their night away. My trembling hands hide under the hem of my jersey as I hit the road, momentarily turning back to look at the frat house, and the crowds of people. I look up at the sky with teary eyes, watching the fireworks burst in different directions so beautifully, contrasting the devastation inside my chest, my mind.

That's when I start my journey, telling myself I will be okay, and that I will make it home, even if it's in an hour's time.

Suddenly, the ground lights up and then darkens, before lighting up again. I realise it's the blinking of headlights, so I turn around in time to see a car — sports car, it seems, and dark in colour — pull up right besides me. Wiping my left eye, I take a step back when the passenger window rolls down, and then I bend to see who has the audacity to feel bad for me at a time like this.

Behold, it's the very same male who called me out for crying and ruining everyone else's night. He sits in the driver's seat, eyeing me momentarily before he sighs. Meanwhile, I roll my eyes and start walking again.

"Hey. I don't think it's safe to be walking the streets right now. There will be a lot of drunkards wandering around." I hear him speak from inside the car. Even more, the corner of my eye catches his car following me at the same pace I am walking.

I ignore him. I think he has said enough to me today with whatever temerity he found. I just grip my hem tighter and keep walking.

"We've established that you aren't deaf. I know you can hear me. I said it's not safe to walk at this time. You never know what could happen."

I scoff. "I'll take my chances."

"And what? Get molested? Killed? Kidnapped? Think straight, mate. I am trying to help you."

"I'm not your concern. You don't have to reprimand me. Go along, I'll be fine. And plus," I turn to glare at him, "wouldn't I be killing your vibe?"

He sighs again and pinches his eyes closed before reopening them, perhaps to make sure he is still driving straight. "Look, little girl, just get in the car and I'll take you home. Don't be stubborn."