forty three | mate x2

Lol, but actually I am so surprised that no one has figured it out yet. The comments are in the right direction but the big picture?

Y'all are missing it and it's right there! I thought by now, somebody would have pointed it out. Usually, y'all already get the plot before we make it half way into the book.

But more cannon events and hints coming soon. Pay attention to them.

Bye!

•••••••

We've remained in silence for a good couple of seconds after his statement. I don't need to tell him to continue, I think he already knows to do so. Still, he remained quiet. I think I can hear him breathing lowly, considering his room is extremely quiet, and I am betting he can hear my breathing and pumping heart.

But... a mate? Before me? I thought he once said you'd only have another mate if the one you had before had died. Or maybe I've read too much myths on the internet to have that idea. But the idea of him having a mate before me makes me feel... hmm. Not jealous, but curious.

He had somebody before me. Did he imprint on her, were they official under his Moon Goddess? I don't want to ask much question, but let him feel confident enough to air his thoughts.

"Same age as you, which is crazy." He mutters softly in the silence of his room. "I think we were perfect for each other. We did have our ups and down but we saw each other eye to eye and had a common ground with the important stuff. And we went months on a good note. I didn't imprint on her; she didn't want me to and I totally understood why. I didn't want to rush anything or make her feel pressured. It was all up to her, at least that's what I thought. So we went as if we were dating, knowing we were mates but didn't make it official under the Moon Goddess."

I slowly turn my head towards him. Of course, I can't see much in the dark, but I can see the outline of his being. His head is down, it seems like, and his body is partially hunched.

"It was all good. Very good. I don't think I can complain much about us, or her. But quickly, it went bad." He sighs softly. "My father didn't approve of her. Tend to speak down of her, thought of her as weak and little and that she wouldn't benefit me at all. It caused problems between her and I, and the trust we had for each other started wearing thin. You could imagine the arguments we had."

"Did she stand up to your father?"

"Many times, and I realised I was the one doing little to protect her from him. I understood that maybe... I thought I didn't have to do anything, that she could fend for herself and that would make a difference, prove a point to him. But me saying nothing and not helping or standing up for her caused more problems. She felt like I didn't side with her enough or care for her. She thought that I was afraid... of my father. She ended up thinking little of me as her mate and future Alpha. She thought of me as a less than. A scum. Coward— that's what she once called me."

Wow... she doesn't sound like a loving person, then. That's a crazy switch up. Kind of reminds me as me, but when I think of it, I haven't abandoned him exactly. He fought for me, he defended me against his father and mine. 

"But the crazy part is I still love... loved her. Deeply. I didn't blame her for what she thought, or the way she behaved. I agreed that maybe I was the problem. I accepted that and tried to make things better. You know, speak to my dad. Try get Andrew to see eye to eye with me. Get Natasha off of her back as well."

"Natasha?"

"Even before, she was convinced we were mates, and of course Natasha tried by all means to make our lives hell. And she still does."