fifty | forever mine

Listen to I Love You by Billie Eilish when you read this chapter. On repeat, if you can, otherwise read it towards the end of the chapter — or rather, let your heart tell you when to play the song. I think it perfectly depicts this entire chapter.

I'm not crying! You are!

*******

It has to be the biggest jolt my body experiences that gets me right awake. My eyes shoot open and I greedily suck in hair through my mouth, hand pressed against my chest.

Besides me, Andrea is laughing loudly. With one glance at her, I see her staring at me with much excitement. Her hair is up in a bun with few strands purposely framing her face. Her lips are coated in red, and they hold a grin.

"You scared me!" She yells, reaching over to smack my arm. "I thought you were dead!"

"Andrea." I hiss at her, finding the courage to grin myself. I realise that I'm in her car, and we seem to be in the parking lot of our university; it feels like it's been forever since I've been here. "It worked!"

"What worked?"

"I saw her." I laugh loudly, turning my body to Andrea and taking hold of her hand. "She's... she's real! Oh my word, she's... oh my gosh!"

"What are you talking about!" Andrea laughs back. The pure excitement and adrenaline pumping in my veins must be exciting her.

"Your—" pausing, I shake my head when I remember it. For forbade me from speaking of it. I said I wouldn't say anything and yet, the first thing I do when I come back is speak of her. "Never mind. I'm just... I'm happy to be back. I missed you so much."

"Where the hell did you go?" She giggles, removing my hand from hers and then reaching in her bag to get her lipgloss. "I've been trying to wake you up for the longest time and you wouldn't wake up."

"I just had a crazy dream, that's all."

"Tell me about it."

"It's not that important." I wave my hand dismissively.

She hums, sparing me a glance before she looks at herself in the rear view mirror. She goats her lips twice, rubs them and then smiles. "Well, the first session is about to start soon. We should head out."

The both of us get out the car. I am trying by all means to hold back my smile, all whilst I take my bag and ensure my phone is with me. My hair is slowly but surely going back to its natural state; the silk press won't last any longer than it already has. I tug my jeans up a bit and adjust my shirt.

I don't recall wearing these, but I look cute nonetheless.

I am beyond eager when we walk into the gates of the university. My eyes hungrily scan the premise, stopping at each and every individual in search for the one person I am desperate to find. In fact, he should find me first, since he'll be able to sense or smell me.

"Gert." I look over at Andrea, who smiles and takes hold of my hand. "It's been forever since I've seen you this happy. What's going on?"

"I just can't wait to see him. Micah."

"Micah?" Now, the red head laughs loudly, squeezing my hand in the process. "Why are you excited to see him? Do you like him or something?"

I'm thinking she's teasing me, especially since she laughs when I look away, all shy and flushed at her words. Like him? I want to tell him that I love him, and I'm not upset with how things went down.

I should thank him even, for bringing me back the first time, when when he could have brought back and saved his brother.

The moment we head inside the school building, Andrea and I part ways with the promise of meeting up during lunch hour. I exit the building through the garden entrance. My heart is pounding so loudly, I can almost feel each beat in the depth of my eardrums. My hands squeeze the straps of my bag as I enter the garden and look about.