five | actress

Because filler chapters are necessary and hints need to be give and stuff like that.

***

"Maybe she is just feeling a little under the weather." Through that wooden door that separates my room from the entire house, I hear my best friend try reason with my father.

It's almost like he doesn't understand. He never does. To him, there's no such thing as being sick enough to the point where you have to stay at home. That's just impossible. It's an excuse in his eyes. Now, I am not exactly sick. Matter of fact, I am not sick at all. I am just a bit overwhelmed with life at the moment, so staying at home seems like the best option.

My mum would have let me stay, in a heart beat. Just saying that I'm sick would have been enough for her.

I sigh softly and lay my head against my pillow, pulling my blankets further up to my cheek.

"She is not sick. Just yesterday, she was fine. Not a sign of sickness, now suddenly, she is sick? I don't believe her." That's my father's voice.

I can imagine Andrea trying to think of something reasonable, believable. She knows my father all too well. She's experienced his difficulty since first year, three years ago. She just has to say the right words and he will believe her. He always does, anyway.

"Let me talk to her and see what's up. Maybe... maybe she can't exactly tell you because, you know, she's a woman? She might be embarrassed to say that she's menstruating."

I chuckle a bit, shaking my head as I mutter; "And that I'm in a lot of pain."

"And... that right now, she's in a lot of pain."

I lift my head with a grin and look at the closed door. She's definitely my best friend for a reason. It's like we can hear each other's thoughts and read each other's mind. I close my eyes to hear what my father says.

It's quiet for a bit. Then, he releases a soft sigh. After that, I hear his walking stick hit the wooden floor. "Go in there and talk to her. See what's wrong with her. If it's very bad, then maybe... she can stay. But only for today. You tell her that. Only for today!" He hisses in a whisper. "But find out first if she is sick... or... bleeding... or something."

I can bet it's awkward for the both of them. I huff, placing my head against my pillow once again. I don't understand why he has to be so strict.

"I'll speak to her. See how she is feeling. She can't lie to me, so don't even worry about that. I'll know if she is really in pain or not. Then, I'll come and tell you."

Again, my father releases a sigh. "Okay. Fine. You'll find me downstairs."

It's quiet for a bit. I take it as a sign to feign pain and I whine loudly, turning over to my side and I pull the blanket over my head. I then remain quiet, anxiously waiting to hear what happens next.

It's not long before I hear my bedroom door open, along with footsteps and the walking stick hitting the wooden ground every other step from the outside of my room. As soon as the door is closed and I can presume Andrea is in my room, I lower the blanket and turn to look at her, who grins at me as she shakes her head.

She has her hair high in a bun, strands of red hair embrace her face on either side, and she has a whole matching red dress. Mini dress for that matter, but that's exactly Andrea's style, so I cannot even be surprised at this point. She wiggles her fingers at me and shakes her head again as she heads to my window. She opens the curtains and then the window.

"You, little miss ma'am, are an actress. I cannot believe you're skipping school, and uni only started this week."

"I really don't feel like going." I mutter, sitting up before leaning my back against the wall.