thirty nine | the dinner

"Look, listen. My mother... she's just a kind hearted person and I am sure she has good intentions for all of this, but you don't have to do this. You don't have to... feel obligated to do this."

Before I could get a word out in response to the boy, Andrea giggles from the corner of his room, arms folded and head tilted at me. "Exactly that, which is why I think this is a good idea for you. Besides, like I said, she wasn't asking you. She was telling you to be there. You agreed to it."

When did I— "Hold on, because you—"

"I know the Luna more than anyone else. She always comes off like that but you have a choice. Besides, it's not she that I am concerned about. It's the Alpha." My head turns back to Micah, who moves from his table to where I am, seated on his bed with this grey dress Andrea claims will look good on me for the dinner.

I didn't know they have to dress all fancy to eat supper, but I am not going to question it either.

"Your father." The red headed girl throws in, and I sparingly glance at her before gazing over at the boy, like my head is watching a tennis match or something.

Micah stand close by, folding his own arms over his chest with a frown. "There's always a next time for a dinner date with the family. It does not need to be today."

"But the Luna asked her to attend today—"

"Andrea, shut the door on your way out." Micah exclaims with a groan as the both of us now look at Andrea, who cheekily raises her hands up in surrender and leaves us be. She throws me a knowing look, although I can't exactly translate what it could mean, and then the door is lightly shut.

I now lift my eyes to Micah. "You know, I agree with her. Your mum basically wants me there, no questions about it. I think it will be fine. What could possibly go wrong... besides Natasha being there, in which case things could go wrong."

"You don't need to worry about Natasha. She has been dealt with, so her being around and in close proximity would be a death wish on her end. Look, I am not concerned about all of that. It's my father." He sighs loudly before he basically throws himself on the bed, and thank heavens I held my balance or I would have certainly bounced off the bed and onto the floor. Painfully. "He is... not nice, to say the least. He tends to say stuff without thinking, and maybe he has good intentions but he doesn't know how to speak to people nicely, and that's what creates this fear in the pack. I don't want you to feel the same way, or even sit at the same table as him yet. I think it's a bit too soon."

I know first hand that this is the case, just with the way the man was staring me down in the kitchen, and his choice of words. Sure, it was a bit... uncomfortable and I can completely see the fear aspect in it — him asserting dominance and letting me know that he is above me in all aspects — but I don't want to chicken away at his mother's offer of being invited to dinner with them. I don't want to seem like a coward more than I already have towards this pack. Besides, there's a promise of food. I happen to like food and considering these are a bunch of wolves, I am certain the food will be out of this world.

Or very bad. Raw. Under seasoned. The list can go on but I have hope. And since I have seen what their drawers of stocks look like, I am confident the latter won't be an issue.

I am doing this for the food.

"I get what you're saying." I place my hand on his bicep, squeezing lightly as a sign of comfort but also for... personal reasons. "It's understandable, and I appreciate your concerns, Micah. However... if I am to be the future Luna... a mere dinner should not concern me much. It's going to be fine, I know this. Plus, you will be there, not? So it will be fine."