sixteen | his wolf

Give or take five extra seconds, I find myself fearful to even turn around and open my eyes. My hands lower to my sides slowly and my head turns to hear anything out of the ordinary.

"Micah? I'm turning around now."

Another round of seconds go by, and I turn around to the house before peeling my eyelids open. I'm staring at the wall, before my eyes dart around. The windows. The balcony upstairs. Nothing seems unusual.

"Micah?" No response. "I promise you right now, if you ran away!"

I turn around once again, this time going to face the forest when, with every fibre of my being, I leap up and away in complete fright, screaming bloody murder. It's a beast! A huge dog!

It's like it happens in slow motion; my hand pressed against my chest as fear rolls up and down my body, eyes wide as I stare into the face of this life-size dog. I don't know if I'm going to faint or evaporate, or maybe even both, but my legs give out and I'm on the green grass, intimidated by the size of this... this dog!

There it stands looking at me, powerful as it stomps on the ground. It snares at me, which all the more intimidates me. It's big, very big. The richness of its dark brown fur indicates that it's very much real, and this isn't a hologram. It's ears point backwards for a moment before turning to me, and it's grey eyes, grey as water-filled clouds, stare at me. It even stomps it's paw on the grass, to which I shriek at.

"M-Micah, I am being so serious right now!" I yell with a shaky voice, eyes refusing to look anywhere else but the horror just steps before me. I can't even move my body because I fear making one wrong move. "Come quick! There's a... a huge dog!"

This dog can rip me to shreds, this I know for sure. What in the hell are they feeding these dogs for them to grow this huge?

"Micah!"

This dog huffs at me, stomping its paw against the grass again. I'm not even exaggerating when I say I feel the heaviness of it's paw vibrate off of the earth band through my body. It's black nose even flares for a second.

That dumb, silly boy left me to fend for myself against his dog? It's the actual temerity of his!

I lick my lips, hands gripping the grass for a brief moment. I've got to treat it like a dog, since it is and looks like a dog, not? I take a huge gulp and then slowly sit up straight, fear still holding every muscle in my body tense.

"Ahm..." I start up, clearing my throat. My gut is clenched and at any given moment, I might release a nervous fart. "Okay doggy. I think— I think, you're a good doggy, right? So... sit, doggy. Sit."

Even the way it tilts it's head is like a dog. Does it not understand?

"Sit down so I can get up. You're scaring me."

Then, as if the words are clicking, it stomps it's paws once again before lowering itself to the ground. All the way, on all fours, and it lays its head on its two paws and it's tail — of which I am noticing now — wags from one side to the other. Like a dog.

I bravely decide to get up. Slowly, eyes refusing to even blink an opportunity to the dog to do something. My stiff body gets up on my knees before I stand to my entire height, looking down at the dog. I take a whole step back, and it watches me intensively.

Where the hell is that boy? "Micah!" The dog huffs. "I'm being so for real! Come out now."

It releases a light bark, so I eye it briefly. Even still, I turn my head towards the house behind me. "Micah!"

It barks again. Twice. I eye it properly this time. How it raises its head, tail wagging back and forth, and it's attention solely on me. It takes me anywhere between a couple of seconds to a whole minute to put two and frikking two, and when I do, my heart clenches and a shaky breath escapes my patted lips of shock.