eight | again

It must be well over a week at this point, and the days start to feel as though they are dragging. Don't get me wrong, university will make one feel like this, especially in the beginning of the year if not in the middle. However, that's not the cause. Not at all.

Instead, it's that blue-eyed delusional young boy, who can not seem to take any sort of hints. He has made sure to annoy every last fiber he possibly can, day in and day out. One of these good days, I will be calling the police. Forget being the black version Karen, my safety feels threatened at this point and it's all because of a younger Caucasian, silly little boy. I can't even seem to breathe without him somewhere in my sight; whether or not he is even looking at me, the fact is that he is existing and without even trying, he is annoying me to the last degree.

Like right now. It's lunch. Everyone is up and about, sitting or walking in groups, playing music through headphones or loudly on speaker. They are doing everything but annoy me. All but him.

Micah. Stupid, silly, little boy Micah, whose name has been in my head since the first time I heard it late the other week on Friday. There he is, grinning about with his two friends I happen to recognise from last week, the first time I saw them on campus. Not too far to hear what kind of conversation they are engaged in, but enough to make eye contact with him a handful of times to know that he obviously sees me as I do, him. He obviously can sense my frustration just like I sense his satisfaction and excitement radiating off of his body. He is obviously trying to get on my nerves, and it sure as heaven is working. His very presence can set my mood off in a heartbeat.

I instantly take a breathe of frustration before standing up from the bench. I sling my bag strap on my shoulder and turn around, heading away from the large green garden to the building of the university. I won't spend another moment wondering if I could curse him out enough for his father to feel it.

My hand fishes for my phone before seeking Andrea's contact. I then press the voice record button. "I don't know where you are, but I am heading back inside. That idiot I was telling you about is here and I just, I just cannot even, right now."

Just as I enter and round the corner, I bump into somebody, leaving a small apology as I am about to round them, yet the familiar cologne wavers in my nostrils. I look up and what do I know; I am taken by surprise at him, Banele, glaring down at me. His glare isn't what has me gasping, but rather, it's his appearance.

His dreads are shorter, a small beard happening but, the one eye is dark in colour as if it's a healing bruise, and his cheek bone is raised up in a bruise. There's a cut on his upper lip, right by the corner. He obviously was in a fight a couple of days ago and I cannot understand why my heart is clenched at the sight.

"Bane--"

"Get out of my way." He technically shoves me to the side so he can walk past, but I'm even quicker, holding onto his wrist to stop him from walking away.

"Wait, wait." He sighs, rolling his eyes and looking down at me. "What... what happened? Why did you get in a fight?"

"Why?"

Why? I blink at him, lips fishing about as I try coming up with an answer. I then swallow, releasing his wrist and then adjust the strap of my bag. Even after what he did, the things he said to me, a huge part of me still cares. Is still attached. A huge part of me still clings onto him like maybe, we could work things out. We could forget what happened on New Year's and start over.

"I don't see you since we opened, and now you rock up with bruises?" I lift my eyes to his unmoved gaze. "What happened to you?"

"We are not dating. We aren't together. There's no need to check on me, Gertrude." He huffs, taking a step back as though ready to walk away. "And don't pretend you don't know who did this to me. You're suddenly very popular, people want to protect precious little you." Now he scoffs as my heart pounds at his choice of words. He leans in a bit as his dark eyes narrow at me. "Ask yourself what happened. And be very grateful I didn't report your ass."