eighteen | his approach

"Ha, papa!" I scream in amusement as he gulps down the entire glass of alcohol. "You're going to get drunk, you know? That means I'll have to carry you to your room."

"I'm old enough to take myself to my room." He spares me a playful glare before he places the glass down.

I can't help shaking my head at him with a grin. I don't know why he thought he'd be better off trying to get wasted today. I get that it's Friday and we've had a rather long week, but I suggested we spend our Friday freely. Have fun, let loose.

Not get drunk. I'm even surprised he offered me a beer bottle, of which I declined because I can't see myself drinking in front of my father. I don't like drinking in general. I think the last time I drank was when I got dumped by who I thought could have been the love of my life. I think now, drinking just has a bad connotation to it.

"Okay. Okay." I place down an Ace, of which he squints his eyes and looks at his own set of cards.

With a smile, he peeps at me momentarily before he places down a card of his own. It's a 8 clover. I immediately grin as I put down my matching cards. "Check! Mate! I told you you're too old to be playing these games."

He groans loudly, throwing his own cards down as he partially throws himself back into his seat. I laugh at him, collecting the cards like I'm collecting fallen money and begin shuffling.

"I'm actually hungry, Gertrude." I lift my eyes as he settles in the seat properly. "Can you heat up the food?"

With a small hum, I put the cards down on the coffee table and get up to my sock-covered feet, shoving them in my morning slippers. I then march my way to the kitchen. He cooked Lasagne today, but that was in the afternoon. It's well past evening now. I mean, I can't be surprised considering my father is quite a cook in the kitchen, and he made a large portion this time around.

I think maybe it's because he's quarter to drunk, that he's hungry yet again. He just ate not so long ago.

I take out a large plate and then take out the lasagne from the oven, before putting it on the counter and getting out a metal spatula. I then cut him a good portion before placing the plate in the microwave just to heat it up some more. Meanwhile, I help myself to a serving, leaving it so it's next in line to be heated up.

Andrea and I came straight home after Micah's place. She dropped me and said she'd be hanging out with Carlos, of whom I'm yet to meet. I sure hope she isn't embarrassed by how he looks, even if I'll probably give her a side eye if he looks... like a wannabe.

I mean, Andrea loves skrr-skrr's, to say the least. If Carlos is the white version, I don't know how I'll react. I just hope he dresses nice — all the guys she vibed with had that in common. I trust Carlos is the same, at least.

When the food is heated up good, I take it out and put mine in the microwave before taking out a tray and a fork to serve my father. I then round the kitchen island and then head towards the living room.

Just as I am about to say something out of pocket, probably along the lines of how much he is a loser for demanding to play this game and not knowing how to play, I come to a slow stop when I find him sleeping. Almost completely passed out on the couch. His mouth hangs open and a soft snore escaped him with every moment he inhales.

"Seriously." I mutter, shaking my head as I chuckle and then head back to the kitchen. I place the tray down and get a plastic dish to cover his food.

When I'm back in the living room, I head to the coffee counter and pick up the remote, putting the TV volume down a bit. My feet then carry me towards the balcony sliding door, and I close and lock it, subconsciously gazing outside towards the dark forest as I'm about to close the curtains. However, my hand pauses when I see it.